Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Plated Lizards Forum

Asaya   Chris14   Rokdog   Asaya   Chris14   Asaya  
 Member  Message

Asaya
View Profile

Formerly Avid eater stops eating

Today he seemed to be doing better-ate about a dozen crickets. But for the past few weeks, he hardly ate anything at all. He even refused a pinkie last week; one of his favs. I’ve never really gotten him to eat any fruits or veggies. His diet is mostly crickets, with a weekly pinkie. I’ve had him about 6 monthes. He used to love to eat and hunt down his prey. That’s why the change in eating habits has me really worried! Also, he’s not eliminating much-probably since he has nothing to digest. Is he sick? Any advice would be appreciated.

10/22/09  05:36am

Chris14
View Profile

Message To: Asaya   In reference to Message Id: 2087361

he might be sick but maybe try giving him some wax worms for a treat but not to many.

10/22/09  11:44pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: Asaya   In reference to Message Id: 2087361

CHECK THE CARE SHEET FOR YOUR PET and see if you are within it’s guide lines. Main reason for any reptile not eating is improper tank temperatures. If your lizards ambient body temperatures aren’t with in guidlines he will not DIGEST his food properly and even though they maybe eating they will get little or no nutrional value from their diet.

10/23/09  09:18pm

Asaya
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2088039

Thank you both for the advice. I will keep better tabs on the temps. Is it possible he injested too much of his substrate (I use ground walnut shells) and it has bound up his digestive system? He is still defecating, though not as regularly as in the past.

10/26/09  01:38am

Chris14
View Profile

Message To: Asaya   In reference to Message Id: 2088675

Wow tht is a HORRIBLE substrate never use that for any pet. it is possible tht could of happened try giving it a bath in warm water and rub on its stomache.

10/27/09  10:01am

Asaya
View Profile

Message To: Chris14   In reference to Message Id: 2088999

Yeah, I realize that now and have since changed to a soil/sand mixture.
Anyway, he is eating better, though still not as good as in the past.
Thanks!

11/08/09  04:10pm

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area