Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Plated Lizards Forum

Madcrazybonkers   Gottee guy   Gottee guy   Madcrazybonkers   Gottee guy   Tony23   Madcrazybonkers   Reptilegirly   Gottee guy   Madcrazybonkers  
 Member  Message

Madcrazybonkers
View Profile

Hi I’m new and need a little help

Hiya new to this forum and reptiles, thanks for looking and hopefully shed some light on my Sudan plated lizards they where rescued about a month ago and believed to be male and female, but have noticed one hiding alot of the time while the other is out and about and sometimes when they are both out they shake up and down then try to bite each other on the back end and the next moment they are fine with each other all cuddled up in the same hide.
So having a good look at there back legs looking for spurs they both seem to have the same size and both on times have long yellow bits poking out of the spurs is it only males that poke out yellow bits and retracted them or can females do this as well. I’m thinking there both males.

Betty the one that is ment to be female

Berty

06/06/09  05:09pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Madcrazybonkers   In reference to Message Id: 2017415

i’m not too sure about plated lizard breeding/territorial habits but i do know that females have the spurs but males’ spurs are larger than female spurs. i also know that males are territorial and can fight to the death. this may be mating behavior though. there is someone called Murdock on this forum, he knows everything about plated lizards so you can p.m. him or wait until he answers.

06/06/09  07:19pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 2017472

also, tony23 has successfully bred them and i’m sure he knows their habits and such.

06/06/09  11:23pm

Madcrazybonkers
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 2017586

Cheers for replying and will give them a shout as i need to find out where i need to split them up or not

06/07/09  09:42am

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Madcrazybonkers   In reference to Message Id: 2017744

any time chappie.

06/10/09  12:54am

Tony23
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 2019531

hi mate try looing at them from above
heres i thing i made as gotttee said tho they do both have pours but the females are less the femles do tend to hide a lot as well but if there biting each other cud have two males
rite here is other ways to sex them
Males have a heart shaped head whereas females are more streamlined.

Females have a more pronounced side vent to allow for greater expansion when they are gravid.
Males tend to have a thicker and wider tail base.

Other than that it’s behaviour and just a guessing game.
tony

06/13/09  12:33pm

Madcrazybonkers
View Profile

Message To: Tony23   In reference to Message Id: 2021516

Thanks tony we now have confirmed they where both males and have split them and have got 2 confirmed females for them and wittnessed the one pair mating today, there on wood chip should change part of the substrate to help encourage egg laying and what to.

Cheers Mark

06/26/09  07:46am

Reptilegirly
View Profile

Message To: Madcrazybonkers   In reference to Message Id: 2029193

hi everyone i dont get on here that much and not to be rude but the female dont have pores on there leggs it is the male i have three different types of plated lizards and only the males have them

06/28/09  09:28pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Reptilegirly   In reference to Message Id: 2030625

what species do you have?

06/29/09  01:00am

Madcrazybonkers
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 2030742

Hi you was not rude but should of read the whole thread as i now no how to sex them and have dug and dug and found out alot about all 3 species but still learning to, which is why im building a website about the sudan plateds which i now have four of so i will always be looking for good info on these as i hope to breed them and hope that all the info i find and put on my site will help others with all the info they need in one place.

Cheers Mark

06/30/09  07:50pm

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area