Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Plated Lizards Forum

Hehoo   TutThePlatedLizard   Gottee guy   Hehoo   TutThePlatedLizard   Hehoo   TutThePlatedLizard   Gottee guy   Hehoo  
 Member  Message

Hehoo
View Profile

Stubborn girl

Any suggestions on how to tempt her to eat something other than bugs? She won’t take fruit/veggies other than baby food from a needleless syringe (too cute, such a sweet girl). Silkworms and goliath worms, she kills and walks away from, strange, yes? Crickets or mealworms or baby food is all she’ll eat. She didn’t even get into the applesauce. And should she be shedding constantly? I swear, as she was finishing her last shed, her next one started. She is a massively fascinating girl. Also, is there an easier way to find her poops? They get covered with dirt apparently instantly, and blend in. I don’t have the greatest eyesight, so it takes a while of staring to spot them. Just wondering if there was something I could look for other than just big lump.

07/29/08  06:21pm

TutThePlatedLizard
View Profile

Message To: Hehoo   In reference to Message Id: 1812934

Stubborn girl

1. food thing sounds fine, plateds are often picky eaters
2. they pretty much always shed, usually because they arent handled enough before we get them to help with shedding
3. i got a wire mesh scoop at petsmart that helped with the poop problem a lot

07/29/08  10:17pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: TutThePlatedLizard   In reference to Message Id: 1813173

Stubborn girl

my blacklined likes to kill crabs and some large insects but just licks them and walks away,like you were saying.it also might be the temp. or time of year you have. my platey looses his appetite very dramaticly in the winter when it cools down to 60-65 degrees from fish,meat,insects,mice,fruits,and veggies to just mice and sometimes fruit.

07/30/08  09:45am

Hehoo
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1813420

Stubborn girl

So is the baby food bad? Will it give her diarrhea? And should I be attempting to vary the food for nutrients? Right now the baby food is just banana, she’s so picky, we haven’t tried any other flavors yet. And does that shedding bit mean that me bathing her and rubbing off her loose shed is good or bad? She doesn’t seem to mind ...

07/30/08  02:11pm

TutThePlatedLizard
View Profile

Message To: Hehoo   In reference to Message Id: 1813640

Stubborn girl

baby food is fine :)

the shedding thing is fine, completely normal, and you bathing her and rubbing off the old stuff is fine. plateds shed kinda weird so they have a harder time getting the old scales off than other species.

07/30/08  04:01pm

Hehoo
View Profile

Message To: TutThePlatedLizard   In reference to Message Id: 1813740

Stubborn girl

Thank you! Everyone keeps telling me to leave it alone cuz you’re not really supposed to help much with the beardies and geckos we have (and they’re sick of plated scales all over the house!). It’s cuz the scales overlap alot and kinda conect, isn’t it? I just know the geckos’ comes of like a glove and the beardies’ comes off in sheets, and the plateds’ seem to come from under the row above, and come kinda in rows. I like the different sheds, it’s cool. Very different lizards. Only been into lizards about a year, currently have five, and can’t get over how fascinating they are. I always liked them, but never could HAVE them til recently.

07/30/08  10:54pm

TutThePlatedLizard
View Profile

Message To: Hehoo   In reference to Message Id: 1814223

Stubborn girl

yes, i love the sheds, its amazing how different they all are. i actually have a scale from the middle of tuts head, the part thats shaped like a shield, i plan on getting it put in a little epoxy or glass square with his name on it and wearing it on a necklace one day. he was the best lizard i’ve ever come across.

07/31/08  01:13am

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: TutThePlatedLizard   In reference to Message Id: 1814340

Stubborn girl

i wouldn’t feed too many bananas. they have a bad calcium to phosphorus ratio.try cut up apples and blackberries. mine love them.

07/31/08  12:51pm

Hehoo
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1814699

Stubborn girl

She won’t eat cut up fruits for me.

08/02/08  02:35pm

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area