Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Plated Lizards Forum

Gottee guy   TutThePlatedLizard   Gottee guy   Kirsrokz   Tony23   Murdock   Gottee guy   Murdock   TutThePlatedLizard   Murdock   TutThePlatedLizard   Gottee guy   Murdock   Gottee guy   Gottee guy   Murdock   Gottee guy  
 Member  Message

Gottee guy
View Profile

Kind of confused

i’m confused about the kinds of plated lizards. am i right?

so this is a blacklined-

this is a sudan-

this is a giant-

this is a yellow throated-

this is an african-

i guess i have a black lined,if i’m right about the pics.

06/09/08  10:31pm

TutThePlatedLizard
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1756472

Kind of confused

im 99% sure those are all correct

06/09/08  10:47pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: TutThePlatedLizard   In reference to Message Id: 1756495

Kind of confused

i’m just confused about the black lined and sudan. they look almost exactly alike!

06/10/08  10:01am

Kirsrokz
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1756729

Kind of confused

idk i am not an expert on lizards sorry

08/14/08  01:23pm

Tony23
View Profile

Message To: Kirsrokz   In reference to Message Id: 1830763

Kind of confused

the giant ones look the same as my two so now is mine a sudan or giant lol
tony

08/14/08  06:07pm

Murdock
View Profile

Message To: Tony23   In reference to Message Id: 1831094

Kind of confused

Hello:
The Giants are spotted while the Sudans are solid colored. I often see some color morphs of Giants listed as "Black-Lined" Plateds but I always thought the name was G. nigrolineata and that it was similar in appearance to the Yellow-Throated Plated Lizard.
Have A Great Day!!!

09/15/08  02:56am

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Murdock   In reference to Message Id: 1860009

Kind of confused

what do you mean by "spotted"?

09/17/08  07:49pm

Murdock
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1862026

Kind of confused

Hello:
The spotting is that if you look at a giant Plated Lizard there is an area of light color in each dark back plate. Sudan Plateds are all a reddish-brown solid color on the back plates. I went out to the room to check them out to be sure.
Have a Great Day!!!

09/17/08  08:23pm

TutThePlatedLizard
View Profile

Message To: Murdock   In reference to Message Id: 1862066

Kind of confused

Giant Plated:

see the spots?

09/18/08  07:25pm

Murdock
View Profile

Message To: TutThePlatedLizard   In reference to Message Id: 1862801

Kind of confused

Hello:
The animal you have in the photo is G. validus, the South African Plated Lizard. I know the animal very well. This is the problem with common names. Often (over a period of years) two animals end up with the same name and confusion begins.
Before G. validus hit the markets the two Plateds that were most often seen (almost exclusively) were the Sudan Plated Lizard (G. major major) and the Yellow Throats. Then in the mid to late eighties a few new ones appeared including Black-Lined (which appeared to be related to the Yellow-Throats), The South African Plated Lizard (G. validus), and what they called the Giant Plated Lizard (G. major grandis). It is G. major grandis that I am referring to, not G. validus.
If you want to further complicate things, when they opened up Madagascar in the late eighties the markets were flooded with Zonosaurids (Mad. Plated Lizards) of several species including another Giant Plated Lizard (Z. maximus). Though not as frequently imported now as in the late eighties-mid nineties, Z. maximus can still be found on occasion.
I hope this clarifies things a bit. It’s no wonder there is so much confusion among this group of animals. For the record, I do believe The S. African Plated Lizard is the largest of the group.
Hope this helps. Have a Great Day!!!

09/19/08  05:45am

TutThePlatedLizard
View Profile

Message To: Murdock   In reference to Message Id: 1863140

Kind of confused

they really need to come up with better common names. ugh. any ideas as to where i could get myself a g. validus? sry bout the confusion, most places i’ve come across refer to validus as a Giant as well. they should call it the Yellow spotted giant instead of s. african, cause i’ve seen almost all of them referred as a s. african or just african plated at one point or another.

09/19/08  08:42am

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: TutThePlatedLizard   In reference to Message Id: 1863170

Kind of confused

we need to write a website about all the species and get it on the front of google to get all the confusion cleared up!

09/19/08  07:57pm

Murdock
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1863636

Kind of confused

Hello:
Count me in on creating a place for Plated Lizard people to call their own. I’ll help in any way I can. I know several Herps that are into naming reptiles and I may be able to have a couple of them steer us in a direction to make sure the right name ends up with the right animal.
I also am working on a show (a filming project) that would report on info such as this. Maybe we can make this confusion one of the stories. In about two weeks we will have a preview of the show (an eleven minute teaser) for people to see. Some of the peoople involved in the show know lots of big time Herpers that would do interviews for the show.
Just keep me posted and I will help or contact others for things I don’t know to help the project. I think it would be cool to have a special place for Plateds.
As a side note, I think the reason that G. validus is known as the South African Plated Lizard is that it is found farther south into Africa than many of the other species (maybe all of the others).
Have a Great day!!!

09/19/08  10:11pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Murdock   In reference to Message Id: 1863758

Kind of confused

i see most of the differences now.
i got a few mixed up in my original post.

but i’m still confused about what the giant PL looks like?

09/20/08  08:30am

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1864016

Kind of confused

and is freewebs the only place to make free websites?

i’ll make the website and password, what should it be called?

09/20/08  08:31am

Murdock
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1864018

Kind of confused

Hello Everybody:
This was a very important thread about Plated Lizards so I thought I’d refresh it for new people using the forum.
Have a Great Day!!!

04/07/09  09:42pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Murdock   In reference to Message Id: 1982064

Kind of confused

yeah, but for anyone new... the one labeled "sudan plated lizard" is actually a blacklined.

this is a sudan-

04/10/09  04:46pm

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area