Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Plated Lizards Forum

Hehoo   Stout Dude   Hehoo   Gottee guy  
 Member  Message

Hehoo
View Profile

Got one ... Now what?

OK, we got the lizard. It’s older than we expected, 3+ years, and comes with a rep of an attitude problem, but gave us NONE. I dunno how to tell the gender but it’s so sweet we’re calling it a her. Everyone else at her work said it was crazy and a biter and all sorts of mean. We set up the 40 gallon breeder with aspen bedding, two log hides, a big water dish, some fake plant thing, a food bowl, a uv light with a uth and a basking for heat, should stay around 90-ish on the hot side right?. She whipped her tail a little when I first picked her up, I put an extra hand under her rear and she was fine. She sat on my arm and let us pet her for probably a half hour. She sat with us on the bed and didn’t run or anything. If anything, I’d say she probably bit them cuz they didn’t give her rear support OR enough room in her tank, as she was in a 5 gallon before. Planning on a diet mainly of crickets and fruits, right? Anyone ever tried silkworms with plateds? That’s what we feed our other lizards so that’d be cool if we could feed it to her too. Also, how do we tell the gender? She’s in the midst of a shed, should we help? It looks like her tail may already be a regrow, btw. How about introducing (not housing) plateds with leopard geckos and bearded dragons? I’m sure I’ll have more questions ... Here’s pics for now, forgive the quality, I only have a cell phone for pics ...

05/25/08  03:12pm

Stout Dude
View Profile

Message To: Hehoo   In reference to Message Id: 1746020

Got one ... Now what?

well your setup is good the temp is but the soil should be about 4-6. its a girl........because she is lighter in color than males i have the same type of lizard ( boy and girl ) also plated lizards from what Ive seen like to be pair up more than others so sooner your later you should get a male. Don’t worry about mating because they rarely mate. lastly she might be a skittish for awhile but once she settles in she will be very docile and curious

05/25/08  08:02pm

Hehoo
View Profile

Message To: Stout Dude   In reference to Message Id: 1746302

Got one ... Now what?

Technically, we’re only supposed to be keeping her long enough to find a home for her so PetCo doesn’t kill off a perfectly fine lizard just cuz it hasn’t sold. Though I have to admit, my girlfriend seems in love with her already, and I’m not far behind. But we have more bedding so that won’t be a problem to add more.

05/25/08  08:25pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Hehoo   In reference to Message Id: 1746330

Got one ... Now what?

that is a yellow lined plated lizard and i am sure.

05/28/08  05:30pm

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area