Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Plants-Vegetables-Fruit Care Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Plants-Vegetables-Fruit Care Forum

KrazyKelli   SnakeDrake   KrazyKelli   H&k hippie   Coreypreston   Jstasnake10   Coolantguy   Meandyoulikeherps  
 Member  Message

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Flytraps and the things they eat

I wanted to find a good way to dispose of the food that my geckos don’t end up eating. And the most natural way I could think of would be to buy myself a venus flytrap or some other brand of carnivorous plant.

My questions are this:

Will a flytrap be able to digest a mealworm, darkling, or cricket, or will the fodder end up hurting the plant?

Will the flytrap pose a threat to the geckos (my geckos are about the size of my hand for all of them) if I put it in the tank? Or should I just go with plan A and leave it in a pot outside of the tank next to the window?

Um, that’s about it. I’ve read up the rest on ’how to take care of a venus flytrap’ and plan to find one sooner or later for a good price.

Any help is good help.

03/25/05  08:59pm

SnakeDrake
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 286792

u can get 1 in michigan tell me how.

03/30/05  01:21pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: SnakeDrake   In reference to Message Id: 291466

Hahaha.. I’m from michigan. If I knew, I’d probably give you an exact location.

But sadly enough I don’t. www.blackjungle.com or such sells flytraps of 2 varieties. The Venus flytrap comes from South and North Carolina and likes to be around the edges of swamps.

I’m pretty sure if you looked on websites you can find a place that’ll mail you one for under 20 bucks.

04/04/05  06:25pm

H&k hippie
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 297703

Black jungle is a great site but i would recomend a pitcher plant. venus fly traps cant eat anywere near as much as a pitcher plant. get a north american one otherwise you will need a terrarium. you could start a terrarium they are pretty kool. my bro has one.

10/22/05  04:40pm

Coreypreston
View Profile

Message To: H&k hippie   In reference to Message Id: 519352

Iím in michigan and i was just picking up some palms and marigolds when i seen venus flytraps at walmart and lowes. Very small but very healthy looking. Try those two places

04/25/06  11:42pm

Jstasnake10
View Profile

Message To: Coreypreston   In reference to Message Id: 758614

i have a venus flytrap but you definetly could NOT put it in with a leo. venus flytraps require humidity levels of 50-90% to grow well. yes they can digest crickets but a mealworm might be able to tunnel out of the trap. they need full sun, and NO FERTILIZERS. they will kill your plant. i keep my flytrap in a one gallon fish bowl with a layer of gravel and then a layer of peat moss. i just set the flytrap (still in its pot) on top of the peat moss and fill the bowl with water up to the gravel. i just put the whole bowl outside. venus flytraps smell like nectar to flies and other flying insects so if your flytrap is outside than it will catch enough food on its own. they donít need bugs, they can make their own energy with photosynthesis. hope i helped

06/27/06  04:51pm

Coolantguy
View Profile

Message To: Jstasnake10   In reference to Message Id: 854560

Quote:

venus flytraps smell like nectar to flies and other flying insects

actually, if im not mistaken, its not a smell that attracts the flys it is the red on the inside of the trap, stick your nose up to your fly trap, they dont have any kind of sweet smell

nick

09/13/06  11:52am

Meandyoulikeherps
View Profile

Message To: Coolantguy   In reference to Message Id: 981804

Mine ate the neighbors kid!!!!!!!!!!

10/08/06  09:02pm

Back to Plants-Vegetables-Fruit Care Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area