Back to Plants-Vegetables-Fruit Care Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Plants-Vegetables-Fruit Care Forum

Sugar Snap Pea   Fairy Frog Mother  
 Member  Message

Sugar Snap Pea
View Profile

Alfalfa (Medicago sativa)

Hi there! Just found this new forum...

I’m wondering if anyone has alfalfa growing in their gardens?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfalfa

I can’t seem to find the mature plant anywhere nearby... not in my garden, not in my neighbors’ gardens... I might have to go further south in NJ to find some... that’s where the farms are. Anyway, it’s a bit late in the year to plant some from seed, so let me know if you have a mature alfalfa plant growing in your garden (preferably herbicide/pesticide free) and can ship it... just reply if you do and I’ll give you the details what to do with the shipping box and the plant. It’s for feeding my uromastyx. Thank you!

09/09/09  12:13am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Sugar Snap Pea   In reference to Message Id: 2069653

Alfalfa (Medicago sativa)

You can always sprout alfalfa seeds indoors and feed your Uro that. All you need is decent sized Glass Jars and squares or circles of screen large enough to cover the top (about 5 inches across) or cheese cloth and rubber bands to strain the water.

Put a tablespoon of seeds into a 24-32 oz jar. Place a square of cheezecloth or screen on the top and use a rubber band to secure the screen all the way round. Rinse the seeds with fresh water and drain daily. For continual sprouts, staggar seeding jars a few days apart so that you have fresh sprouts available at the end of the week. You could also start seeds in a 3 inch pot indoors in a sunny window, like people grow grass for cats.

You can do this with Alfalfa, Sunflower (YUM), Onions (Awesome on salads) Radishes, Mung Beans and probably many others. Good for people AND pets.

12/09/09  02:10pm

Back to Plants-Vegetables-Fruit Care Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area