Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Plants-Vegetables-Fruit Care Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Plants-Vegetables-Fruit Care Forum

Herb123   Derf   Herb123   Fairy Frog Mother  
 Member  Message

Herb123
View Profile

Carnivorous plants!!!!

I can’t wait!!!!!!! I’m going to make a terrarium just for carnivorous plants!(I already have a fly trap) But I do have one question-can the kind of moss that you would find growing outside or in your yard, be grown in sphagnum moss?

05/26/09  06:57am

Derf
View Profile

Message To: Herb123   In reference to Message Id: 2011140

Carnivorous plants!!!!

it depends on what type of moss you are talking of! Different mosses can be grown in different conditions! For the most part-id say no! I would put a nice layer of good potting soil down then cover any bare areas with the sphagnum moss- The soil will not only look very attractive with the nice rich black color but it willalso help keep up the humidity that the carniverous plants like!!! ...u should get a couple of frogs to put in there as well or small lizards like anoles!?!?!?

06/12/09  07:47pm

Herb123
View Profile

Message To: Derf   In reference to Message Id: 2021205

Carnivorous plants!!!!

I can’t do potting soil because it will actually hurt the carnivorous plants. I found a substrate that will be good for these special plants and should be fine for living moss. And as much as I’d like to have a frog or something in there, I can’t.(I’m not aloud to, and I wouldn’t even if I could, because one of the plants would probably eat it. And no, that is not a joke, I’ve seen it happen) Thanks for the help, I thought nobody would help me:)

06/17/09  12:33pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Herb123   In reference to Message Id: 2023899

Carnivorous plants!!!!

I just noticed this forum!
I had a friend who grew pitcher plants and various sun dews and fly traps. He created a bog which did really well until we had a real cold snap and the frost got to them. I love the isea of a carniverous garden.

12/09/09  01:57pm

Back to Plants-Vegetables-Fruit Care Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area