Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Parasites Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Parasites Forum

Reptifan   Midnightworrior   Shem Turner   Lyric   Iggywiggy   Snakebite4   N2t   Snakebite4   Rabernet   Nickolace   Moroccanmint26   Marg   Norec   UROKEEPER  
 Member  Message

Reptifan
View Profile

Dealing with and preventing mites

First off I am the reptile tech for a local exotic vet, the following information is an approved procedure the Dr. I work for heard about. This is the easiest way I have found to get rid of mites, and it works, I personally used it on one of my snakes:
Use a wash cloth to gently rub a coat of vegetable oil on pet, let oil stay on for about 10-15 minutes, then soak pet in water for about 30 min. to rinse. Worked on my snake after one treatment. Mites are easy to prevent, simply bake all substrate in oven at 350 for 30 min. before putting in tank. Contaminated substrate is the most common way for a reptile to get mites.

12/09/05  11:30pm

Midnightworrior
View Profile

Message To: Reptifan   In reference to Message Id: 568985

its a lot better if you freeze all you substrate for a day or two before putting it in your Viv

02/02/06  09:16pm

Shem Turner
View Profile

Message To: Midnightworrior   In reference to Message Id: 632939

Sorry to be a kill joy but you are actually much better off baking the substrate.

04/01/06  10:19am

Lyric
View Profile

Message To: Shem Turner   In reference to Message Id: 719905

I just thought to share this, from the Herp. Guy at the local zoo here, and also numerous breeders: if the pet is a gecko, they are much healthier and better off with you using Viva paper towels to line the bottom, for frequent cleaning, prevention of mites altogether and sanitation reasons. Hope this helps.

04/16/06  01:15am

Iggywiggy
View Profile

Message To: Lyric   In reference to Message Id: 741812

will your vegtable oil method work on my mountain horned dragon iím not sure what kind of parasites he has but i was told that they were mites.

08/13/06  11:12am

Snakebite4
View Profile

Message To: Iggywiggy   In reference to Message Id: 937462

this is what i do its much simpler and was approved by a vet too just change the bedding wash the cage really good soak him in a little bit of water then go to walgreens and get a pest strip pad and put it ontop of the cage but dont give him any water the pad can affect water greatly then in a week the bugs will be gone

08/28/06  01:07am

N2t
View Profile

Message To: Snakebite4   In reference to Message Id: 960398

The pest strip is not always a good idea. I personaly keep tarantulas pest strips are not a good mixture with bugs I also have roaches..badness again. And itís a toxin..imho and it is only my opinion I like to use the veg or olive oil method. I got my first case of mites last week. Used some olive oil and soaked the tank in bleech...yes baking would have worked but I was angry so I put the snake (JCP) into a new tank and filled his with bleechwater, itís been full for four days everything is dead now. I will pull out the plastic plants and rince them off even though I could drink the water at the moment without fear of bleach. Substrate was aspen mulch...itís soaked now but will be tossed and I will actualy go to reptacarpet now. The snake shed and alot of dead mites were in the shed but he appears to be clean so. For my money the veg oil is the way to go.

08/28/06  03:25am

Snakebite4
View Profile

Message To: N2t   In reference to Message Id: 960483

not good for bugs but excellent for reptiles i use it all the time and i havnt had a problem since

08/29/06  01:01am

Rabernet
View Profile

Message To: Snakebite4   In reference to Message Id: 961977

For snakes (not for any insect) - the best thing since sliced bread is Provent-A-Mite. I pre-treat enclosures before I bring in new animals, and Iíve never had a problem with mites. No wiping down my animals with oil, no baking or freezing substrate. One treatment of PAM lasts for a month.

I also re-treat the enclosure of the established colony when I bring in new animals (you never know if the new animal has mites that gets on your clothing that you might transfer to your other animals, no matter how careful you are with quarantine). I might be a big anal, but one time getting mites from a new animal was the catalyst to my current regimene.

08/29/06  06:56am

Nickolace
View Profile

Message To: Rabernet   In reference to Message Id: 962159

if i did the vegetable oil thing and only found 2 mites does that mean my infestation is relatively small?

02/27/07  01:33am

Moroccanmint26
View Profile

Message To: Rabernet   In reference to Message Id: 962159

rabernet, where do you get the PAM?

06/15/07  05:30am

Marg
View Profile

Message To: Moroccanmint26   In reference to Message Id: 1319396

Here is a Link to get P-A-M

06/25/07  02:25pm

Norec
View Profile

Message To: Reptifan   In reference to Message Id: 568985

Hello everyone!

I found this link and tried the oil bath and it worked pretty good.
Link

Here is the excerpt from that site:
Answered by andrewscott on 9/6/02, 11:45 pm

A: Lizard Mites
often mites will live in the deeper belly scales of your lizards. one way that i know of to help kill mites is a special bath. if you place your lizards in a bath of warm water about 3/4 of an inch deep or a bit deeper if your lizards are larger (such as leopard gecko’s) in the water should be about 2 table spoons of mouthwash, or vegetable oil. usually the mites will hate this kind of bath and come wriggling out from the scales. wait until mites have stopped coming off your lizard, then rinse your lizard not once, but at least twice in an identical bath, minus the oil or mouthwash. then put your lizards back in their terrarium. i think you’ll be happy with the results, but if this fails, take them to a VET!!!

08/28/10  07:28pm

UROKEEPER
View Profile

Message To: Norec   In reference to Message Id: 2172176

did anyone ever think that oil is not good for some reptiles? some snakes may be fine but certain types of lizards should not come into contact with oil? and you should be vacuming carpets and floors and changing substrate not trying to save the substrate. look at my post on a safe way to kill mites on contact without harming your pet. paper towels or tiles should always be used when treating animals

07/12/11  12:18pm

Back to Parasites Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area