Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Parasites Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Parasites Forum

Lea77   Eris   Lea77   Eris  
 Member  Message

Lea77
View Profile

Hookworm and feeding?

I recently had our vet to a fecal analysis on my ball python, Sadie. They found some hookworm, so we gave her panacur for three evenings in a row and will repeat the process in a couple of weeks. We gave her the last dose of panacur 48 hours ago. Im wondering, is it okay to feed her tonight? Ive gotten mixed advice about this - the vet said it was okay to feed her, but some people have suggested to wait a week. Shes a great eater and I can tell shes hungry. She also finished a shed shortly before we started giving her the panacur, and shes usually quite hungry post-shed. Thanks! Lea

10/11/05  11:06pm

Eris
View Profile

Message To: Lea77   In reference to Message Id: 508844

Hookworm and feeding?

it should be fine to feed after giving panacur. Panacur is a dewormer that is easy on the system. not only does it kill parasites, it also helps with the bacteria in the gut (both good and bad) equaling them out. it is said that some animals may have vomiting/nausea after use; but at my clinic we have never seen any side effects from using panacur and we even use it for patients who have vomiting and diarrhea.

10/17/05  12:46am

Lea77
View Profile

Message To: Eris   In reference to Message Id: 513529

Hookworm and feeding?

Thanks, Eris. I did end up feeding her last week and she didnt have any problems! I appreciate the reassurance!

10/19/05  03:25am

Eris
View Profile

Message To: Lea77   In reference to Message Id: 515855

Hookworm and feeding?

no problem, glad to hear she is eating...

10/21/05  11:33pm

Back to Parasites Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area