Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Parasites Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Parasites Forum

ILuvMyFrogs!   Mc Fly   Domin665   Mc Fly  
 Member  Message

 #448283


ILuvMyFrogs!
View Profile





 KEEP YOUR PETS HOME MITE FREE!!! L@@K !!!

Hi, I just thought Iíd share my top tip with everyone...

Ive had my WTFís for 7 or so years & in the beginning, like everyone when you first start out, its a case of trial & error as to what suits your tank/frogs...

Anyway when i started setting up my tank no matter what substrate I used Peat, Bark Chippings etc I always found that even in a clean tank you always got little tiny creepy crawlies appearing from nowhere. Obviously becoming active/hatching with the temperature in the tank.

Now, I know the majority of these are totally harmless, but I never liked the idea of these little beasties walking near any of my pets!

So...

I decided to place whatever substrate (Peat, Bark etc) In a microwave proof bowl, cover with cling film- AND NUKE IT!!! (for around 5Minís)

This not only kills any unwanted insects, but also eliminates germs & bacteria too!

This process also gets the tank returned to temperature quicker after cleaning- just make sure its not too hot before returning your pet!

Ive been doing this for years & also use this method as a preventative in my Tortoises cage, my Bullfrog Tank & also for my Corn Snake!!!

Since doing this I have never had any unwanted crawlies & my pets couldnít be happier!

Hope thatís useful to someone out there! X



08/20/05  05:31am

 #841787


Mc Fly
View Profile



  Message To: ILuvMyFrogs!   In reference to Message Id: 448283


 KEEP YOUR PETS HOME MITE FREE!!! L@@K !!!

Thank you,
Mc Fly.



06/20/06  06:32pm

 #846584


Domin665
View Profile



  Message To: Mc Fly   In reference to Message Id: 841787


 KEEP YOUR PETS HOME MITE FREE!!! L@@K !!!

Would that make the substrate dangerous, if they were to lick it or accidently ingest it? I know microwaves destroy the natural composition of water because they shoot radioactive chemicals at stuff to heat it.



06/23/06  12:49am

 #847363


Mc Fly
View Profile



  Message To: Domin665   In reference to Message Id: 846584


 KEEP YOUR PETS HOME MITE FREE!!! L@@K !!!

Microwaves are not radioactive, they transmit radio waves very very very fast which makes heat. No radioactivity at all.



06/23/06  01:05pm


Back to Parasites Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area