Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Parasites Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Parasites Forum

ILuvMyFrogs!   Mc Fly   Domin665   Mc Fly  
 Member  Message

ILuvMyFrogs!
View Profile

KEEP YOUR PETS HOME MITE FREE!!! L@@K !!!

Hi, I just thought Iíd share my top tip with everyone...

Ive had my WTFís for 7 or so years & in the beginning, like everyone when you first start out, its a case of trial & error as to what suits your tank/frogs...

Anyway when i started setting up my tank no matter what substrate I used Peat, Bark Chippings etc I always found that even in a clean tank you always got little tiny creepy crawlies appearing from nowhere. Obviously becoming active/hatching with the temperature in the tank.

Now, I know the majority of these are totally harmless, but I never liked the idea of these little beasties walking near any of my pets!

So...

I decided to place whatever substrate (Peat, Bark etc) In a microwave proof bowl, cover with cling film- AND NUKE IT!!! (for around 5Minís)

This not only kills any unwanted insects, but also eliminates germs & bacteria too!

This process also gets the tank returned to temperature quicker after cleaning- just make sure its not too hot before returning your pet!

Ive been doing this for years & also use this method as a preventative in my Tortoises cage, my Bullfrog Tank & also for my Corn Snake!!!

Since doing this I have never had any unwanted crawlies & my pets couldnít be happier!

Hope thatís useful to someone out there! X

08/20/05  05:31am

Mc Fly
View Profile

Message To: ILuvMyFrogs!   In reference to Message Id: 448283

Thank you,
Mc Fly.

06/20/06  06:32pm

Domin665
View Profile

Message To: Mc Fly   In reference to Message Id: 841787

Would that make the substrate dangerous, if they were to lick it or accidently ingest it? I know microwaves destroy the natural composition of water because they shoot radioactive chemicals at stuff to heat it.

06/23/06  12:49am

Mc Fly
View Profile

Message To: Domin665   In reference to Message Id: 846584

Microwaves are not radioactive, they transmit radio waves very very very fast which makes heat. No radioactivity at all.

06/23/06  01:05pm

Back to Parasites Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area