Parasites Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Parasites Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bunnys revenge   Eris   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Bunnys revenge
View Profile

Eli needs help recovering from Ivermectin injection

My little blue-belly lizard had mites which I could not get rid of with betadine- long story... Anyhow, after much frustration, I took him to the vet who gave him 2 injections of Ivermectin 2 weeks apart. Eli bounced back after the first injection, but it has been exactly a week since the second one and he still is not himself. He has not eaten in 7 days and he spends most of his time completely passed out. I took him back to the vet yesterday and she injected him with fluids and vitamin B and gave my a syringe ti try to feed him some critical care. This morning, he had much more strength than he’s had all week, but I was not able to get the syringe in his mouth. I was, however, able to pry his little mouth open with my pinkie nail and he licked some critical care of of my nail. We did this for about 20 or 30 minutes. I have been misting his forehead at least 3 times a day, but I can’t figure out a better way to get fluids in him...

Can anyone please advise me on how to help Eli recover from the Ivermectin? I know the drug is what’s affecting him... My friend told me I can try to give him a solution with pedialyte. Would bathing him in a pedialyte solution help too?

01/26/14  12:50am

Eris
View Profile

Message To: Bunnys revenge   In reference to Message Id: 2303133

I would try to keep up with the critical care. That should help get him with getting fluids (if its the kind that you mix with water to form a past of sorts). I assume you are using a reptile critical care formula, if not I would advise to get some.

Most reptiles are good about conserving water by having non-permeable skin, so soaking might not do much. Also be cautious of overdoing fluids. Not sure what size syringe they sent home with you, but they do make a small syringe 1cc syringe, you may have a bit better luck feeding him with that.

Probably the best thing that you can to is to give supportive care and keep him comfortable and call your vet if he isn’t improving.

02/05/16  01:06pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Bunnys revenge   In reference to Message Id: 2303133

I agree with eris 100% although I had mites once and dealt with it using provent a mite and reptile relief with a bedadine bath.

02/05/16  05:41pm

Back to Parasites Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area