Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Parasites Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Parasites Forum

Randi6852   Randi6852   Randi6852   Randi6852   Randi6852   Gretchenellie  
 Member  Message

Randi6852
View Profile

Mites!!!

Ok, I have Anoles and house geckos in an aquarium that recently came down with mites. They are impossible to catch and apply medication to. So I have been spraying the encloseure, catching them and attempting to spray them, and it is not helping. I have had 5 die so far, only 6 left to go. So I was looking into buying the "good mites". Their are so many differnent kinds. I think Phytoseiulus persimilis, is the one I need, but I have no idea how many to place in my aquarium, and I want to make sure they are not going to hurt the other surviving lizards. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Randi

03/02/08  03:24pm

Randi6852
View Profile

Message To: Randi6852   In reference to Message Id: 1644894

Mites!!!

Ok, well I found a site that has them for very cheap, I am going to give it try, can’t be worse than it is now, right? I will keep you informed on what happens. The site I am ordering them from is http://greenmethods.com/site/shop/buy-bugs/4/#BPPERV

03/02/08  03:40pm

Randi6852
View Profile

Message To: Randi6852   In reference to Message Id: 1644914

Mites!!!

The mites arrived yesterday, they are suppose to eat the eggs of the spider mites so they can’t reproduce, then when the adults die the cycle should be over! The lizards where not very impressed when I added the preditor mites, they all ran up the sides and onto plants to try to get away from them. I will up date you next week on what else happens.

03/07/08  09:21am

Randi6852
View Profile

Message To: Randi6852   In reference to Message Id: 1651368

Mites!!!

Yeah, what a joke. I don’t know if the mites died before eatting the bad ones eggs, or what. No matter it didn’t work. My stepdad said banana peels work, so I bought bananas. The internet says mites like bananas, so I don’t think that will work, but maybe it will get them off my lizards for a while. I also saw that you can drown the mites. That might work. I have anoles, they love humidity any way I could fill the aqarium up with 1/4 inch of water. If the banana peel doesn’t work I think I am going with the flood.

03/19/08  09:21am

Randi6852
View Profile

Message To: Randi6852   In reference to Message Id: 1667075

Mites!!!

Flooding worked! I put just enough water in to cover the bottom. The anoles were soo smart too. They dug a small ditch and would take turns sitting in it with just their heads out. In 2 days all the mites were dead!! I am upset it took me so long to find something that worked. In total I lost 5 anoles and 3 house geckos. I definatly know what to do next time! My anoles had a large bridge in their habitat I just layed a banana peal on it, and changed the peal every day. The mites appeared to like the peal so I could remove and flush their grimey butts! I would definatly recomend this method over all the others if flooding is a possibility with your animals.

03/22/08  09:21pm

Gretchenellie
View Profile

Message To: Randi6852   In reference to Message Id: 1671814

Mites!!!

you could have also tried dry ice, smoking them out, or simply taking everything out for a good wash and get new plants..

simple..

04/09/08  10:58pm

Back to Parasites Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area