Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Parasites Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Parasites Forum

Douche   JackAsp   Lizardking/hfx/n.s   Gretchenellie  
 Member  Message

Douche
View Profile

Parasites in wild-caught baby sliders?

hello i have accquired two baby sliders (or maybe they are river cooters) anyways there only half dollar size and i need to know if they can carry parasites that young and if so can they be treated for them that young? money is no concern

04/27/07  05:58pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Douche   In reference to Message Id: 1261777

Step one: Find a reptile vet.
Step two: Get them checked out, and make sure you bring a good fecal sample. Itís okay if itís been frozen. Incidentally, when it comes to parasite detection, just a stool sample is often more useful to the vet than just an animal. And with just a stool, you can drop it off without an appointment and not even worry about stressing the turtles by dragging them in if they seem otherwise healthy.
Step three: Find out what meds are needed and how to administer them.
Step four: Ask if itís okay to feed them with that particular medicine, which it usually is. Vets have a habit of assuming that everybody in the world is as comfortable shoving tubes into animals as they are. Me, I hate doing it. Often you can accompliwh the same thing by "spiking" a food item; just make sure itís something small enough that it wonít get ripped apart first. Even then, Iím not sure how doable it would be for something that eats and chews in water. Iíve only had to do it with snakes. But itís worth thinking about ways to pull off, if possible.
Otherwise, just take a deep breath and do it the old-fashioned way. There are also bacterial products which are good for turtles, like eating yogurt is for humans, which actually replace the more harmful microorganisms such as salmonella. The thing is, I just sort of wandered past this thread while I was browsing forums, and answered because I just got meds last week for a new snake and the vet only charged me sixteen bucks (didnít even have to bring her in, just a stool sample, then they said "Buy a gram scale, weigh her, and come get the medicine.") and so your question kind of hit my radar, but I am not a turtle owner and I can not actually tell you which bacterial products are good and which ones are ripoffs because I have no idea. Itís something you might want to look into though.

05/14/07  04:25am

Lizardking/hfx/n.s
View Profile

Message To: Douche   In reference to Message Id: 1261777

put them back buy a pet never kidnap one from the wild

04/08/08  09:28am

Gretchenellie
View Profile

Message To: Lizardking/hfx/n.s   In reference to Message Id: 1694347

they are carriers for salmonilla (sp?)