Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Mountain Horned Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bmxking658   Takahiro111   Bmxking658   Luvmycritters   Bmxking658   Bmxking658  

Member  Message

Bmxking658
View Profile

Earthworms

My new mhd seems to only be eating earthworms when I offer him one. I leave dubias, small super worms, and wax worms in a dish on ground level and a dish at basking level and he doesn’t seem to touch them. I don’t like to leave crickets that can hide behind the background unless I knew he would eat them. So my question is, are earthworms fine as a staple. I’ve read mixed things but can’t seem to find anything reliable as far as a source.

02/09/16  04:03pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Bmxking658   In reference to Message Id: 2316976

Earthworms

No not a good staple. Try tricking him, mix several feeders in a dish with less earthworms. Also try tong feeding, get an earthworm and roach together. He should be able to see the worm but mistakenly take both. Lastly just stop feeding earthworms he’ll come around and eat the other bugs when he gets hungry enough. Either of these methods worked when ever somebody decides to be picky with insects in my collection. Try flies,beetles,mealworms (occasionally),hornworms.

02/09/16  06:01pm

Bmxking658
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316979

Earthworms

Got him eating crickets now. Some dubias are missing so hopefully they were consumed and didn’t escape the dish. Haven’t seen any superworms missing but that’s ok because I wouldn’t want them to be a staple anyway.

02/12/16  06:45pm

Luvmycritters
View Profile

Message To: Bmxking658   In reference to Message Id: 2316976

Earthworms

actually in my opinion and what I have read earth worms are very high in calcium and are a quality worm to give MHD! Also, you could start your own worm composting to use to feed and its easy and super cheap!! I always tell people to check out froggiebdragons website!! I have learned soo much from her, so much that my wild caught MHD laid eggs that we incubated for 228 days and the first hatchling arrived yesterday!!!!

02/17/16  09:56am

Bmxking658
View Profile

Message To: Luvmycritters   In reference to Message Id: 2317049

Earthworms

http://www.gartersnake.info/articles/2006/feeding-earthworms-red-wigglers-vs-nightcrawlers.php

02/17/16  11:20am

Bmxking658
View Profile

Message To: Bmxking658   In reference to Message Id: 2317052

Earthworms

Froggie b has the best website I’ve found for these guys. I’ve read it inside and out and the only thing I’ve read that I may question is feeding red wigglers. I know the article I posted above is about garder snakes but when I read toxic I run away. I think as far as earthworms just be careful where you get them. I’m gonna keep feeding them as long as I see no problems but I am a firm believer in variety in the diet.

02/17/16  11:27am

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area