Mountain Horned Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bmxking658   Takahiro111   Takahiro111   Bmxking658   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Bmxking658
View Profile

Humidity question

I’ve had my mhd about a week now, I’ve been keeping the humidity between 60 and 80% depending on how often I mist. My question is should it be this humid 24/7/365 or do you guys ever allow the substrate to dry out a little like maybe don’t mist for a day or something like that. I have an exo terra so my airflow is pretty good and with the screen top restricted a little I’ve been holding humidity well. The top is about 1/3 covered and 2/3 open screen still. If it’s damp all the time will mold be a concern?

02/05/16  05:56pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Bmxking658   In reference to Message Id: 2316935

Humidity question

Mold depends on the ventilation, substrate, cleanness like for ex damp repti bark will mold. For my tropical reptiles I don’t damp my substrate, the top layer has a light mist while the under layer is not wet/damp but a little more moist. I mist my top layer once every 3-4 days but my humidity stays 50-90% regardless.... not every one of my tropic herps need the same humidity some 90%,80%,50-70%. I only had mold once using reptibark for my tropical herps never used again, not sure if mold will hurt them I don’t know but I never take chances, if its not good for us(humans) then I’m pretty sure its not good for them either. I switched to cypress mulch/ecoearth/sphagnum moss mix and a sand/soil mix(for monitors). I use a fogger/humidifier for all my tropics and a repti rain system for my chameleons and whoever else don’t drink still water. Everything’s on a timer although I do let my substrate dry out because wet/moist substrate overtime can cause blisters which can get bad leading to a infection. if the top is about 1/3 covered and 2/3 open screen and its holding humidity that’s great which benefits the dragon as long as the cage isn’t constantly soaking wet and dirty I wouldn’t worry. But its always good to keep a look out warm/hot humid areas cause mold growth as well, you’d normally see mold on bark decors like habba huts,logs,branches,bark substrates,etc..

Hope this helps

02/05/16  08:02pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Bmxking658   In reference to Message Id: 2316935

Humidity question

Its good to keep the right humidity 24/7 to keep a healthy well hydrated animal, if this animal was to go too long without the correct humidity your giving he’d dehydrate which overtime will become sever and causing organs to fail killing him instantly so keep up the humidity. But don’t go over the humidity limit because that’ll be bad causing an RI

02/05/16  08:11pm

Bmxking658
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316939

Humidity question

Thank you so much for the info. For substrate I used a thin layer of hydro balls topped with mesh then topped with a thin layer of eco earth and moss. I kept my substrate to a thin level because I’m treating the mhd for worms and parasites and want to be able to easily and inexpensively change the substrate often. I would usually use paper towels but I needed the substrate for humidity.

02/06/16  09:25am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Bmxking658   In reference to Message Id: 2316941

Humidity question

You’re very much welcome I hope he gets better.

02/06/16  02:04pm

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area