Mountain Horned Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Jessica.Tiffany   Luvmycritters   Mistermomo  

Member  Message

Jessica.Tiffany
View Profile

Dry MHD please help!!

I got a boy mountain horn dragon yesterday and his skin is super dry, some of his horns look like they have fallen off and the rest look like their going to, his scales are shedding and white in some places and I was wondering if there was any way I can help hydrate his skin. Do you think olive oil would help? Or something like that.. Please help!! Thank you. (:

06/29/15  01:08pm

Luvmycritters
View Profile

Message To: Jessica.Tiffany   In reference to Message Id: 2314083

Dry MHD please help!!

I’m not sure that olive oil is what you want to do. Make sure your humidity levels are correct in the tank, atleast 70%-80% You can actually let him soak in a shallow bowl of water, or the plastic containers that you buy lunch meat in work great too! Our MHD loves to swim in hers. Do that as often as you want or he tolerates. Spray down your tank often too. If you just got him, he most likely is really stressed. Most pet stores don’t keep the tanks humid enough and it causes a lot of undue stress. It is also normal, unfortunately, that their horns fall off. This will happen with the stress and conditions transported in after being caught. Again, I think a lot of people underestimate how much these lizards enjoy water, so make sure he has plenty of access to it and that it is large enough for him to completely lay in. Is your water still or do you have a dripper or air stone so that he realizes there is water in there? Good luck!

06/29/15  03:06pm

Mistermomo
View Profile

Message To: Jessica.Tiffany   In reference to Message Id: 2314083

Dry MHD please help!!

When I rescued my MHD he was a little shrivelled up ball of concrete. he didn’t even want to move his head.... he hadn’t shed in over a year (if not more) and was on the cusp of dying. I took him in, gave him a warm bath to start, got a spray bottle and misted him every chance I got. Everyday, or every other day I’d give him a bath until he’d start to fuss. I did this until he started to get a little better looking/feeling then only once a week. up the humidity for the first while make it so everything is always wet. If your enclosure isn’t holding humidity well, wrap the top with tin foil (this will help slightly). basically I kept everything suuuper humid and wet until his first GOOD shed.

Also, get him a "swimming pool" he will LOVE you for it. doesn’t have to be fancy, just big enough that he can walk/turn around and deep enough he can sit with his head out of the water but still plunge his head if he wants( he will want to) and then just patience, he’ll come around! Good luck!

09/14/16  05:55am

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area