Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Mountain Horned Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Puff-TheMagicDragon   Luvmycritters   Puff-TheMagicDragon   Tom kitty   Luvmycritters  

Member  Message

Puff-TheMagicDragon
View Profile

Interspecies housing

Is it possible/ advisable to house different species together?
Our local pet store has a MHD for sale, and we want to rescue it, but are unsure if it will live happily with our current MHD. Ours is female, and the one for sale is male. Ours is a dwarf, but I don’t think the male is.
Background:
Our first pet was a baby MHD that turned out to be very sick, and ultimately died as a result, despite all our efforts. The pet store that sold us the dragon had it housed in a desert setting, with a hide and a bowl of water. We asked all the right questions, and were given all the wrong info, and sold all the wrong supplies and food. Days later, we spent hundreds more on the proper supplies, but it was too late. We have since learned to do our own research, and have told the pet store to not sell these little guys unless they give proper info. Unfortunately, they are selling another one, an adult this time, and he is living in the same conditions that the baby was living in. I feel the need to get him out of there. I wish there was someone to report this animal abuse to, but it seems that, unless they have fur, it’s hopeless. Please help. Will he be fine if they are different species, or will I have to try to find another giant vivarium for this poor little MHD?

04/10/15  03:46pm

Luvmycritters
View Profile

Message To: Puff-TheMagicDragon   In reference to Message Id: 2313128

Interspecies housing

I would make sure that you are indeed looking at a MHD. I’m certain there is no such thing as a dwarf MHD. Almost all MHD are wild caught a. capra species. So, if you did want to rescue the poor guy, and they are both a. capra species they could be housed together. Keep in mind, if this pet store is not housing this lizard correctly, you could be taking in more problems of illness and costing you a lot more money to get the poor guy in proper health. How does he look?? Is he active at all? How is he if you can take him out of the cage? If he’s hanging out on the ground, has yucky looking eyes, black specks on him(mites) you may want to think again. How sure are you that he is a male? This pet store needs to be reported. An AWESOME website practically dedicated to MHD care, is froggieB.com. She also has info there where you can report loser pet stores that have employees that have no idea how to take care of these super sweet reptiles!! Good luck!!

04/10/15  07:07pm

Puff-TheMagicDragon
View Profile

Message To: Luvmycritters   In reference to Message Id: 2313132

Interspecies housing

I am absolutely certain they are both mountain horns. I got the "dwarf" from a reputable place in a different city, and I assume he just used the term dwarf, because it was easier than classifying the smaller sub-species. They could even be the same species, and she just happens to be smaller, but I wanted to make sure just in case they’re not.
Both dragons look the same, but the male is bigger. We have had Puff for a long time, she is full grown.
The male had only been in their store for a day. We asked to hold him, and he ran ran right up my arm, stopped at my shoulder, and then bolted to the top of my head. He is active, but somewhat skittish, compared to Puff. I doubt he will stay strong and active for long in that environment, but for now, he seems ok.
I sexed them based on the info at FroggyB’s MHD page, which was my initial source of reliable info, so long ago, when we started this hobby. I have since consulted on many reptiles and amphibians with our local reptile rescue, as Puff is the only purchase we have made from a store. The rest have all been rescues, so we are well aware of the work and financial obligation involved in nursing the babies back to health.
Unfortunately, our rescue contact is unfamiliar with MHDs.
As for the contact to report animal abuse, I don’t think that applies here in Canada, unfortunately.

04/11/15  10:33am

Tom kitty
View Profile

Message To: Puff-TheMagicDragon   In reference to Message Id: 2313128

Interspecies housing

so sorry to here that please reply back for more of my information im only 13 years of age its wierd doing this but im glad to help

04/11/15  11:35am

Luvmycritters
View Profile

Message To: Puff-TheMagicDragon   In reference to Message Id: 2313133

Interspecies housing

Bummer, you can’t find a way to report them. It’s terrible what these poor guys go through. I can totally relate to wanting to save the poor guy but you rescue them all, sadly. Why won’t the pet store listen to you about proper care of these lizards? I don’t understand that. From their perspective you would think the healthier their animals are, the more sales...... Sad but true. I’m know pro here, but if they are the same genus, but a sub species, why wouldn’t you be able to house them together? I haven’t read really any data that says there are a tremendous number of different species being brought in to the US other than a. capra and a few a. crucigera. Not sure about Canada, but I would think it’s fairly close to the same??? Well, continue doing a great job educating the pet store and hopefully they will come to their senses and do what is right!! Good luck!!!

04/11/15  02:37pm

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area