Mountain Horned Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anniek   Takahiro111   Luvmycritters   Mistermomo  

Member  Message

Anniek
View Profile

My mountain horned dragon acting funny

So a few days ago I got a mountain horned dragon from pet store, he’s been very friendly and eating perfectly fine. I take him out once a day and he loves sitting around in my room (I watch him to make sure he doesn’t run away) There are some concerns I have though, I fear he is dehydrated as I have not seen him drink from his water bowl.. at first the water was still, I found out that his water should be moving so that same day I put my finger in his water bowl and started moving the water around he started drinking from it right away, just a couple slurps. I later that day got him a pump, tube and air stone to keep his water moving but i have not seen him drink from it or soak in it since.. I have been keeping an eye on him and he has had some strange behavior like going to the very top of his cage and hanging on the roof (mostly at night) but sometimes during the day just hanging out up there. Today I noticed when he is walking around he looks dizzy...In a way he looks drunk lol... It’s kind of concerning me. He was a bright green when we first got him but now he is a brownish color.. He has been acting very strange and tapping his head on the side of the glass every so often and trying to climb up the glass.. When I got him they told me that the 30"L x 12"W x 12"H would be perfect for him...and they had him in pretty much the same thing I have. But i have read online that they need a minimum 3 foot tall terrarium.. Should I get a bigger home for him? Is he just adjusting to his new home? Is he dehydrated hence the dizziness? Should I be worried...? I’m like a concerned parent for him I really want him to be happy and healthy.. Please help !!

04/09/15  10:14am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Anniek   In reference to Message Id: 2313111

Dehydration: Symptoms
*Sunken eyes
*Pale inside the mouth
*Around the mouth turning a dark color and looking dry
*Opening mouth breathing

If he’s rubbing his face or trying to climb up the glass get a bigger tank and put some plants,vines and branches also cover the cage size. This tank should be temporary until you finish building his permament cage. Also what I’ve seen with most of reptiles is that they will not drink if they know your watching them. He could be drinking without you knowing when your doing something else like sleep or go to work. Most reptiles don’t drink from still water so you can get something that moves it like a waterfall for ex and low himidity can cause dehyrdation and shedding problems. Of your really concerned I would contact a herp vet.

04/09/15  03:31pm

Luvmycritters
View Profile

I am also new to MHD but have some insight for you as well. MHD’s are very inactive reptiles. They pretty much hang out for most of the day/night unless eating and drinking. They are arboreal lizards, living in the tropics, so they like to be high up! So, the fact that he crawls up high, is normal! He may be trying to hide as well as he gets used to his new home. Do you have your humidity levels correct? That will help too. You can "help" him to the water too. I rarely see my MHD drink. These guys are pretty stressed out when caught so keep an eye on him! Good luck!

04/10/15  06:47pm

Mistermomo
View Profile

Sounds somewhat normal... His colour will always fluctuate from one shed to the next, he could just be getting ready to drop the top coat. usually when mine is about to shed he’ll turn brown kinda dark then it’ll suddenly go light, that’s when it starts to "detach" and then he goes the a new-ish colour usually prettier than the first. (or I could just like change--LOL)

The crawling on the roof, I noticed mine start to do that when he got a little bigger and my conclusion was the tank was too small, he felt cramped and wanted to be higher... I had a top opening lid so when id open it he’d perch right up and stretch his neck OR he’d try to jump out to get more height. ( little did he realize the wall doesn’t have much to grip---I caught him everytime)

with the water drinking, get some plants and a spray bottle. They will drink the drips off the leaves of the plants more so than getting off their high branch to go down to a water bowl. he will use a water bowl more so when he wants to swim or is trying to shed. keep it humid, they absorb water through their skin as well (this could be why you don’t see him physically drinking).

the "dizzy drunk walk" could be a number of things, most often with my experience he was constipated. try picking him up in your hands and massaging his belly every so often. he probably just need a good bowel movement.... ( don’t worry he won’t go in your hands this just helps things get moving)

09/14/16  06:14am

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area