Mountain Horned Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bryanna   Takahiro111   Bryanna   Takahiro111   Luvmycritters  

Member  Message

Bryanna
View Profile

MHD egg info please!

I have recently purchased a MHD from a local pet store. She is very calm and tame. The store informed us she had laid a clutch before. I believe she is getting ready for her second clutch as she has stopped eating and is quite chubby. My question, is it possible for MHD to lay eggs without ever coming into contact with a male like other reptiles, as the pet store claims she never has, or do they only lay fertile eggs? I just do not want to be caught off guard and have supplies ready for hatchlings if need be.
Thank you for the info and help!

03/15/15  02:31pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Bryanna   In reference to Message Id: 2312774

MHD egg info please!

A female can lay eggs without a male but they just won’t be fertile. But if she’s getting kinda fat and especially around the belly area she may be gravid. But their feeding response doesn’t normally decrease from what I’ve heard.

03/15/15  05:24pm

Bryanna
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2312775

MHD egg info please!

Thanks for the reply. I’ll keep an eye on her and hopefully changing up the food will help her appetite return.

03/16/15  06:29am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Bryanna   In reference to Message Id: 2312776

MHD egg info please!

Your welcome and she might dig a lot too.

03/16/15  07:37am

Luvmycritters
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2312777

MHD egg info please!

I am kind of in the same boat! we apparently bought a MHD gravid and she just laid 12 eggs! we are incubating them and I think she may be working on another clutch! Her appetite severely decreased before she laid. She went from eating 10-12 worms every other day to just one or two worms about a week prior to laying. She also laid in her water a lot and had several areas dug up before she chose the actual laying site. time will tell but the eggs are looking good so far!!

04/08/15  07:09pm

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area