Mountain Horned Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

MHDKenzie   Takahiro111   MHDKenzie   Takahiro111   Rkruse3  

Member  Message

MHDKenzie
View Profile

MHD fat and lazy

I’ve had my MHD for 8 months now, she is the very first lizard I’ve owned. I was keeping her in a repti breeze for the first 5 months which she seemed to enjoy. She would climb on the walls, hunt, jump, I would even find her down at her water source. When we would hold her she would climb and she was usually very active. She was very very healthy. When we switched to a 24x24x36 exoterra cage over the summer to keep humidity up, we put live plants in there with hydro balls and Eco earth, a couple thick wood sticks to climb on and a dripper with a bowl for her water. Her activity level started to go down, she would still be active outside of her cage but not inside. Her thermometer reads 72 degrees during the day and I mist her 3-4 times a day. We feed her crickets as a main diet and when we bought the cage we had just started feeding her wax worms Occasionally with the crickets so she could choose whichever she wanted to eat. I haven’t seen her shed once in this new cage. About a month and a half ago she started to become very lazy. She will stay in the same spot unless I move her. She doesn’t visit her water anymore, she just lays on a log at the top of the cage all day. I throw crickets in usually every day unless I see she hasn’t eaten any from the previous day. It’s been about a week since she last pooped and she won’t hunt crickets anymore. The only time she will eat is if a dangle worms for her, and the only time she drinks is when I put her near her water dish. She has gotten really fat and when I hold her she crawls, she has a hard time climbing now. I’m not sure what the problem is, any advice??

12/09/14  09:43am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: MHDKenzie   In reference to Message Id: 2311255

MHD fat and lazy

Do you have a uvb bulb?? Is the previous cage taller/bigger??

12/09/14  02:17pm

MHDKenzie
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2311260

MHD fat and lazy

Yes I have a uvb bulb, and the previous cage was taller than the one I have her in now.

01/01/15  10:28pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: MHDKenzie   In reference to Message Id: 2311255

MHD fat and lazy

MHDs love height so it must be the cage and the temps should be in the low 70s and low 80s so try to raise it to 75 and see if she improves.

01/01/15  11:36pm

Rkruse3
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2311606

MHD fat and lazy

Then she is comfortable. MHD’s are lazy lizards when content. They are known only to move around when hunting and will spend the rest of the day sprawled out on a tree limb. Mine eats like crazy, then just chills the rest of the day.

01/04/15  10:33am

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area