Mountain Horned Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Kelckmdo   Takahiro111   Kelckmdo   Takahiro111   Hermes De Freitas  

Member  Message

Kelckmdo
View Profile

Mhd

my friend wants a mhd and has asked me to try to research what he needs to do to prep for one and basic care i have never had one and i’m clueless on how to take care of them so please reply as soon as you can

05/12/14  11:51am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Kelckmdo   In reference to Message Id: 2305076

Mhd

I know a little about this lizard so I decided to research about them for you.
Caging: minimum for one is 3’ tall 2’ wide and 2’ deep.
Humidity:60%.
Substrate: eco earth or orchid bark. Something that helps with humdity.
Temperment: docile and don’t move much sometimes.
Diet: insects like crickets worms etc...
Water: unlike other reptiles they don’t soak a lot and don’t do good with still water so add a dripper or waterfall system. But still add a bowl just in case.
Decor: branches,vines and plants. If using live plants make sure its not toxic.
Heating: no more than 80 on the hot side with a basking spot and 70-75 on cooler side.
Light: uvb light is a must to keep this lizard healthy and alive.
Size: I’m not sure but they are rather meduim sized than large like an iggy.

*Not many people own these so care on them is hard to look for. Also don’t feed them fruit or veggies its not good on theirtummies I’ve read.

05/13/14  01:16pm

Kelckmdo
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2305108

Mhd

ive been told they do not bask and would they be fine with roaches

05/13/14  01:34pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Kelckmdo   In reference to Message Id: 2305111

Mhd

I’ve read roaches can be tricky for them....I’m guessing to catch but if you want to feed them roaches put them in a bowl so he can eat out of. I put quick moving feeders in a bowl sometimes depending if they can catch them but any other bugs like crickets or grasshoppers I let my lizards chase for a little exercise and hunting fun lol.

05/13/14  03:10pm

Hermes De Freitas
View Profile

Message To: Kelckmdo   In reference to Message Id: 2305076

Mhd

It is so important to set up the environment before you introduce him. MHD’s are difficult to care for since they require much ventilation as well as humidity. The substrate’s gotta be wet enough. Add water to the substrate and spray the substrate under the bulb daily. You’ll need a UVB bulb. They only get filtered sunlight in the wild, but it’s still sunlight, so UVB’s a must. Have a lot of foliage in the tank to simulate the sunlight being filtered through. Making sure you have the environment set up will allow him to get used to it without your hands going into his enclousre tweaking and changing and moving things all the time. They need to be left alone mostly for the first few week or two. Also, I’ve been told the cheap thermometers that stick onto the glass only measure the temp of the glass and are pointless. A digital thermometer with a probe is a must. (i was told Walmart has ’em for like 12 bucks)

google "herp center" and go to lizards-general. It’s a much busier forum where you’ll get more advice.

All the best!
Zachary De Freitas

05/13/14  09:25pm

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area