Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Mountain Horned Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Loki14   Saine718   Loki14   Saine718   Loki14   Rexxaroo  

Member  Message

Loki14
View Profile

Mountain Horned Dragon never opens his eyes?

Hey i recently got a mountain horned dragon yesterday and ever since i got him he has never opened his eyes. I didn’t have a uvb bulb when i first got him so this morning i went out to buy a compact coil uvb bulb by zilla. i think it only uses 13 watt and it is a fluorescent. But even when i pick him up he has his eyes close. He only opens them when ever he is climbing but he hardly moves. He hasn’t eaten any of the crickets. i have a basking spot at around 90 F and i try to keep the humidity around 70-80%. I heard it could be not enough UVB and a small lump would appear but he doesn’t seem to have any lumps. Also i read that he could be shedding and closing their eyes is very common. I don’t know what to do? Should i take him to the vet? also he has not pooped yet or i have not found them. PLEASE HELP!!

04/27/13  03:26pm

Saine718
View Profile

Message To: Loki14   In reference to Message Id: 2296378

first off i want to say congrats. they are awsome reptiles. Remove the basking spot. MHD do not bask. humidity at that range is fine between 70 -80% but the temperature inside the tank should be no highier then 80 degrees. If he is keeping his eyes close all the time that means he is sick. I would recommend taking him to a vet asap. When i first bought my dragons, my male crucigera was sick with the same symptoms u stated. Unfortunately he passed before the antiboiotics made it to the vet. Most of the time the antibiotics has to be shipped in. So as i said before i recommend going to the vet asap and getting thr process started. Also i wouldnt recommend leaving extra food in his tank because this can cause stress on the animal and also the crickets can bite him/her and that can lead to infection. As for the UVB percentage....how big is your tank?

05/01/13  11:50pm

Loki14
View Profile

Message To: Saine718   In reference to Message Id: 2296670

I have an 18x18x24 tank, i just made an appointment but its in two weeks~ also how do i make him poop? my vet said that he can only do fecal exams but my MHD hasn’t eaten anything since last friday! the pet shop said they been feeding him crickets but i don’t understand why he won’t eat them now? any way of making my MHD poop?

05/03/13  05:22pm

Saine718
View Profile

Message To: Loki14   In reference to Message Id: 2296765

I would give him earthworms. They love them. Its a great meal for them, much better than crickets. a few earthworms will make him poop. Is he acting lethargic?

05/08/13  02:05am

Loki14
View Profile

Message To: Saine718   In reference to Message Id: 2297027

Should i try to force feed it to him? or just let it sit in his cage? yeah most of the time he stays at the same place for hours, at times i would find him just chilling on the floor. I rarely ever see him move on his own....are they suppose to be this inactive?

05/09/13  03:27pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Loki14   In reference to Message Id: 2297101

Hey loki, the problem with the eyes on your dragon is very likely caused by the coil bulb. Compact fluorescents are extremely dangerous and have been known to cause photokeratitis which is the swelling of the corneas causing pain and swollen/closed eyes.
Remove the bulb if you still have your dragon.
Good luck.

Rexx

05/15/13  04:10pm

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area