Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Mountain Horned Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

PaigeyPoo18   Saine718   PaigeyPoo18   PaigeyPoo18   Saine718   PaigeyPoo18   Saine718   PaigeyPoo18   Saine718   PaigeyPoo18  

Member  Message

PaigeyPoo18
View Profile

MHD "playing" dead??

I’ve had my MHd for about 2 months now, she isn’t very old, 5 months I believe. She was healthy when I got her. Last night I went to take her out of her tank and she was laying on the floor of her tank laying limp, she was cold, and didn’t look like she was breathing. I immediately Thot she was dead so my bf picked her up n she opened her eyes. I put her in a room temp bath to warm her up and she was happy n swimming n fine thn all of a sudden she stopped moving and flipped over like she was dead?!?! I started freaking out n I picked her up n as soon as I did she sprang back to life?...she did this about 3 times. I’ve been afraid to leave her alone in fear there’s something seriously wrong. I have NO idea what is going on. She eats every couple of days. She eats mealworms. I never see her moving around much but I know she moves around. I also never see her drink water but I do put her in a bath evry other day or so. She’s my first lizard. The temps and humidity are fine and yes she has moving water. Please help me understand this?

04/04/13  05:00pm

Saine718
View Profile

Message To: PaigeyPoo18   In reference to Message Id: 2295019

MHD "playing" dead??

It seems your MHD may have some serious issues. I would definatley take her to a vet immediately. It can be possible she might have worms or parasites. It all depends. As for not drinking water. What you can do is spray her snout or wet her snout every so often or you can feed her earth worms which are full of water. My MHD’s hardly ever drink water. they get their fill from the worms

04/05/13  11:53am

PaigeyPoo18
View Profile

Message To: Saine718   In reference to Message Id: 2295078

MHD "playing" dead??

She seems to be more active today and I noticed she’s beginning to she’s. ill deffinatley bring her to a vet as soon as possible. Thank you very much:)

04/05/13  03:59pm

PaigeyPoo18
View Profile

Message To: PaigeyPoo18   In reference to Message Id: 2295094

MHD "playing" dead??

*shed. Sorry

04/05/13  03:59pm

Saine718
View Profile

Message To: PaigeyPoo18   In reference to Message Id: 2295095

MHD "playing" dead??

When they shed there behavior changes. That is normal but i would suggest to feed her earth worms or red wrigglers. They are full of calcium and water and will give her the nutrition she/he requires. Goodluck!!, anymore questions don’t hesitate to ask.

04/06/13  03:55pm

PaigeyPoo18
View Profile

Message To: Saine718   In reference to Message Id: 2295150

MHD "playing" dead??

I’ve tried finding toe red worms everywhere and no one in my area sells them. Earth worms are HUGE compared to her, should I giv her a half one or a whole? She doesn’t eat a lot. I have notice a color chane though, all of her brown areas are turning coal black and the greens are becoming brighter. When I hope her she barely moves aside from her breathing. And It seems like she doesn’t ever want to wake up. I know she moves around though because she’s in a new spot in her terrarium about every hour or so...she’s the first lizard I’ve owned and Ive done research but its hard to find some answers. She’s very small and I also feel like she hasn’t even grown and inch since I’ve gotten her...

Is it bad if her color is changing to darker tones such as black or does it matter? I’m not even sure how old she is, If i had to guess based on what I’ve learned so far I’d guess about 4 months or so...I got her from pet supplies plus and they don’t exactly have a very good review up where I’m at.
How long is the shedding process?

04/08/13  02:52pm

Saine718
View Profile

Message To: PaigeyPoo18   In reference to Message Id: 2295270

MHD "playing" dead??

petstores like Petco have different size earthworms. I would get the small size if you dragon is still a baby. If its around 8 to months + then i would i get the medium. That would be ideal. Is it possible for you to upload a few pictures of your dragon i would love to see her. As far as the shedding it can take weeks. One of my medium sized dragons just shedded on his head and horns but has not shedded on the rest of his body yet and its been a few days so far. I basically just keep the humidty in the high 70’s. Do you have a UVB? they do need UVB to make there bones strong.

04/08/13  10:02pm

PaigeyPoo18
View Profile

Message To: Saine718   In reference to Message Id: 2295310

MHD "playing" dead??

I woke up this morning before school and she had passed away...

04/09/13  03:23pm

Saine718
View Profile

Message To: PaigeyPoo18   In reference to Message Id: 2295344

MHD "playing" dead??

Sorry for your loss, Im pretty sure there wasn’t much you couldve done. I spoke to a vet a while back because the same symptoms you explained one of males was going through and she explained there is a disease that is not curable with antibiotics and it will end up killing the reptile. Unfortunately my dragon had that disease and im pretty sure yours did to. Once again im sorry for your loss man.

04/09/13  08:49pm

PaigeyPoo18
View Profile

Message To: Saine718   In reference to Message Id: 2295363

MHD "playing" dead??

She’s in a better place now. Thank you for all of your help.

04/10/13  05:24pm

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area