Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dragonflydazd   Kelckmdo   Saine718   Saine718  

Member  Message

Dragonflydazd
View Profile

MHD questions?

Hi,

I’m a fairly new MHD owner. His name is Douglas and I bought him at a pet store. He apparently has issues with one eye so once a week I have to give him antibiotics. That’s not a big deal since he is very cooperative. I do have a couple of questions if anyone can answer.

Douglas seems to ALWAYS have his mouth open. Is this normal?
How can I get the temp and humidity up in his terrarium? I have a mister and heat lamp as well as a basking lamp but i’m still having issues. Any suggestions? I also have an air stone in his water so it keeps moving.
With his eye issues, it seems like he isn’t seeing the crickets i put in for him so I am worried he isn’t eating. If I want to feed him worms, can I just dig some up from my compost pile to give him?

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great. I’m sure I will have more questions the longer I have Douglas.

Thanks so much
dragonflydazd

08/14/12  09:25pm

Kelckmdo
View Profile

Message To: Dragonflydazd   In reference to Message Id: 2276802

MHD questions?

I had a bearded dragon that did the same tang and it because it was to hot so what I did was moved the light closer to one side of the tank and put water on the other and she stopped doing it

03/07/13  10:59am

Saine718
View Profile

Message To: Dragonflydazd   In reference to Message Id: 2276802

MHD questions?

Remove the basking lamp, basking lamps cause damage to a MHD because they do not bask. all you need is your UVB light. In order to increase humidity in the tank there has to be a balance with heat and water. What i do is depending on the size of your tank, place the UVB light above the water source ( make sure the water is moving because MHD dont drink from still water) and it will begin to balance everything out. if that doesnt work then i would suggest to cover half of the top of tank with a moist towel. Make sure MHD can still breathe and that will solve everything. tempertaur inside the tank should be 73 to 80 degrees (at most) and humidity should be around the same. If your dragon has its mouth open it can probably mean a respitory infection. I would seek a vet immediately. If you have anymore questions email me at j., im more than glad to help. Goodluck!

03/25/13  04:59am

Saine718
View Profile

Message To: Saine718   In reference to Message Id: 2294285

MHD questions?

j.cintron1117 @gmail.com

03/25/13  05:01am

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area