Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Mountain Horned Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dragon01   Dragon01  

Member  Message

Dragon01
View Profile

My new MHD is not eating, should I be worried?

I purchased a female MHD (A. capra) from a local pet store last sunday. According to them, she (my son named her Cindy) is about six months old and is supposedly captive bred. She was very dark in color and dehydrated when I brought her home. I let her soak in a bowl of warm water with electrolytes for about twenty minutes and then put her in her new home. I built her a pen that is over four feet high, two feet wide and a foot and a half deep. She has lots of live plants and branches to climb on, a large water dish with an air stone, substrate that is a mix of peat moss and sphagnum moss that helps keep humidity high. I have a UVB light and a 50 watt heat light on top of the pen (on a timer) and the temp. ranges from 83 degrees at the top to 71 degrees on the ground during the day. They humidity is at 75-80%. I have a homemade humidifier that I built that is working really well. She appears healthy and bright and her color has improved greatly since I brought her home. She is now a pretty mottled green with some yellow highlights, but she just won’t move or eat. She looks around and moves her head and follows movement with her eyes, but she won’t move anything else. I have read other posts showing that this seems to be normal for MHDs to do, and it does not concern me as much as her not eating anything. I have tried several methods and types of prey to tempt her to eat and it is a no go. I have left meal worms and dew worms in her feeding bowl and I have dangled them in front of her face with tongs. I have rubbed them on the side of her mouth and tried gently pulling on her dewlap to get her to open her mouth, but she refuses to open her mouth even a little. Am I trying too hard and should I just leave her alone for a while longer? Or should I really be worried about this. I have bathed her in electrolytes again yesterday, but i think she is drinking off of the leaves when I mist the cage. She does not appear skinny or dehydrated, but her lack of interest in her food has me concerned.

06/23/12  01:13pm

Dragon01
View Profile

Message To: Dragon01   In reference to Message Id: 2270941

My new MHD is not eating, should I be worried?

YAY!!!! She is finally eating! Cindy is finally moving around, standing up and eating. She wolfed down about twelve (4 week old) crickets and is finally showing an interest in her surroundings.

06/24/12  03:37pm

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area