Mountain Horned Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bjlasota   AL-E-KAT   Bjlasota   AL-E-KAT   Alex.M   Mistermomo  

Member  Message

Bjlasota
View Profile

Looking for advice on cage size

So I decided about a month ago that I wanted to get a lizard. Over the past month I’ve learned a ton of information on iguanas, beardies, and a bunch of others only to find that the type of lizard I want and the habitat I have for it won’t fit in my enclosure or house. I don’t have much room and have my eyes on an Exo Terra 18Wx18Dx24H rainforest terrarium. This both fits my price range and available room at home. I’ve read up a lot lately on mountain horned dragons and see that they enjoy 25-40 gallon terrariums. A lot of resources say that you shouldn’t need to go over 30 gallons for these small guys. So after finding the 33 gallon above, I’m now finding information that I shouldn’t go under a 4’x3’x2’ cage for adult MHD’s which is a 180 gallon cage. Most of the places I’ve looked aren’t keeps of MHD’s, just other lizards. What are your opinions if you’re an MHD owner? I’m looking to get a cage in the next few days, set it up over the next 2 weeks to get the temp and humidity set right, then go out and pick up an MHD. Someone please help me out because I can’t get a good, solid answer anywhere else from someone who owns an MHD. I’m not interested in Anole’s or Geckos either, which most people keep suggesting to me.

05/30/12  03:36pm

AL-E-KAT
View Profile

Message To: Bjlasota   In reference to Message Id: 2268171

I just bought a MHD a week ago and I have him in a Exo Terra 18Wx18Dx24H. He seems happy and I feel he will grow up very comfortable in it. I have been reading everything I can find on MHD’s this past week and it seems most people use the Exo Terra 18Wx18Dx24H.

05/31/12  06:53pm

Bjlasota
View Profile

Message To: AL-E-KAT   In reference to Message Id: 2268344

See, and that’s what I thought. But it also seems that anyone who doesn’t have an MHD is completely against a cage that small. Everyones saying they need a cage about the size of an iguana or water dragon. I really don’t know what to do. I already have the cage and I really don’t have much room for a larger cage right now. I may just end up putting a few Gecko’s in my cage, and getting a MHD when I have the space for a larger cage,.

06/04/12  09:29am

AL-E-KAT
View Profile

Message To: Bjlasota   In reference to Message Id: 2268746

WOW an iguana gets huge you would need a cage the size of a small bedroom and a water dragon is larger than a MHD so I do not know what they are talking about. A MHD if your lucky will grow to 24 inches and most that is tail. The full grown adults I have seen were around 16 inches and will do fine in a 18x18x24 aquarium. I had a Gecko once and they were not for me he stayed hid and sleep all day it was like owning a pet rock. I have been So happy with my MHD. I figure if he out grows the set-up then I will get him a bigger aquarium but that looks like it will be a year if not years away. Also I guess it depends on what species of MHD you get. You could look for a Acanthosaura lepidogaster they are the smallest of the MHD and they only grow to 10 or 11 inches.

06/04/12  03:39pm

Alex.M
View Profile

Message To: AL-E-KAT   In reference to Message Id: 2268782

I have never seen an MHD that was 16" my male is an adult and is 10", about 5" from snout to vent I think females are bigger though and I haven’t measered mine. And the 4’x3’x2’ is just what the person thought was a good size that worked for them. I think you are referring to froggieb. I have done tons of research on these guys and there really isn’t that much out there. Anyways I’ve got my pair of capras in a 18"x18"x24"tall and they seem just fine in there. So if you’re doing only one I think that’s perfectly fine. I got a 36"Wx36"Tx36"D that I will be changing them to. Not because I think it’s too small but it’s just an upgrade. Good luck to you!

06/11/12  04:21pm

Mistermomo
View Profile

Message To: Bjlasota   In reference to Message Id: 2268746

I’ve had my MHD in a 29 gallon "fish tank" with a mesh top for over a year (at least), he’s been super happy, healthy and full of energy. (even for a fat guy) he’s never shown any problems since I got him, other than the fact he’s a rescue and his "home" before was sharing the same enclosure as a fully grown water dragon who tormented him and ate most of his tail (showing dominance)

HOWEVER, this was never meant to be a permanent situation for him, the plan was to upsize when I could afford it as it was an unexpected fork in the road and I did what I could at the time. NOW he’s moving into a "medium tall" exo terra terrarium that will fit him better (24x24x18--LxHxD)

09/14/16  05:38am

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area