Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Mountain Horned Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dhurley42   Thehide   Dhurley42   Alex.M   Dhurley42   Alex.M   Troy_mclure   Troy_mclure   PaigeyPoo18   Saine718   Luvmycritters  

Member  Message

Dhurley42
View Profile

Can’t find any MHD around

I have only been able to find MHD at one reptile show in Maryland and they were wild and very sickly looking. I really want to find a Juvenal. I really like all the info I have found on these lizards and because of that I went out and got a Excho Terra 24x18x36 tall tank and made a waterfall and lots of vines and branches for one to climb on. So if anyone knows any good breeders or has some really good care sheet info on these awesome critters please share with me!

10/29/11  03:24pm

Thehide
View Profile

Message To: Dhurley42   In reference to Message Id: 2242345

Finding MHD’s certainly is tricky. You are looking for one, imagine how difficult it is when you are looking for 10, like me =(

Just google care sheets and take all of it into account. I also did some research on how the forests in cambodia, laos, southern china etc look so i can create the best habitat possible. I then also did some research on the climate’s there so you get genuine knowledge of the habitat. Thorugh this i found out that MHD’s should have 80-90% humidty during the night, and 60-75% in the day with peaks at dusk and dawn. The temps there rarely fall below 50f and average at 64f overnight. 73f is a normal gradient and 85f as a HIGH basking spot, while a lower bask should be no hotter than 72f. Hope this helps.

10/29/11  07:42pm

Dhurley42
View Profile

Message To: Thehide   In reference to Message Id: 2242377

yeah that does help a lot! I didn’t know the humidity was higher at night then in the day. Yeah its kind of driving me nuts I cant find one. I had one a while ago that just would not settle but I got him at a reptile show and I know he was from the wild and he looked on the old side. I’m not sure if it was an age thing or the fact that he may of been dehydrated or parasites. regardless I have a great set up now and really want to give one a good home!

10/29/11  11:56pm

Alex.M
View Profile

Message To: Dhurley42   In reference to Message Id: 2242422

try going to a local pet store that sells reptiles and ask them if they know any breeders that sell CB. when i was looking around i had no luck and i had actually been looking for half a year till i finally got these guys. found them at a pj’s pet store near me they usually sell wild caught or wild caught captive hatched eggs and they were about 20-25 dollars. so i went up and asked the manager if they had any captive bred ones and they said they have a breeder so we gave him a call and got a pair both from a different bloodline(so there was no inbreeding). only difference was i had to pay $60 each witch is no big deal compared to the price of vet bills.

Hope you find your MHD’s! good luck to you.

Alex

10/30/11  03:20pm

Dhurley42
View Profile

Message To: Alex.M   In reference to Message Id: 2242462

Yeah I’ve called everyone in the state and the only one that knows a breeder wants $110 each and I I just feel like that’s an attempt to rip me off. Only info I have is that the breeder is in the PA area. But it seems to find any info on these guys on the net. Their such awesome Lizards and I’m surprised that they are not popular!

10/30/11  09:47pm

Alex.M
View Profile

Message To: Dhurley42   In reference to Message Id: 2242513

that does seem high. but also remember if they are WC you could be spending more than that on the vet to check them and the meds. maybe call a vet and check the prices of an examination and possible meds to see what you could be dealing with.

10/31/11  03:45am

Troy_mclure
View Profile

our local petco carries them frequently.

12/01/11  02:14pm

Troy_mclure
View Profile

Message To: Troy_mclure   In reference to Message Id: 2245842

they currently have a crucigera for 30.

12/14/11  03:02pm

PaigeyPoo18
View Profile

Message To: Troy_mclure   In reference to Message Id: 2247159

If you look around online there are some great places to order them from. The older they are the cheaper you’ll get them for btw. I got mine at my local pet store but there are many sites you can find that sell them( not wild caught)

04/04/13  07:15pm

Saine718
View Profile

Message To: PaigeyPoo18   In reference to Message Id: 2295034

I first bought mine from local pet stores as juveniles and the first thing i did after buying each one was taking them to a local vet to get them dewormed and make sure they a parasite free. Months later they are as healthy as an ox :D

04/05/13  11:57am

Luvmycritters
View Profile

are you still looking for MHD’s?? I have some incubating and they are only 3 weeks into it but thought I would ask!

04/08/15  07:18pm

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area