Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mountain Horned Dragons Forum

Thehide   Thehide   Alex.M   Thehide   Alex.M   Thehide  
 Member  Message

Thehide
View Profile

MHD Breeding

Hi all, new to the site, although i have been involved with many different reptiles for a number of years. I have a passion for arboreals and my latest project has seen me begin the construction of a large MHD enclosure. The main aim for it is to reduce the number of WC MHD’s we see in the UK market and therefore i am putting a hefty sum into making this work. I am looking to place several sub species in the enclosure such as:

Capra - 1 Male / 2 Female
Lepidogaster - 1 Male / 2 Female
Armata - 1 Male / 2 Female
Bintangensis - 1 Female

The enclosure will be 2000mm High, 2000mm Wide, and 1220mm Deep. It will be vastly decorated and include:

Deep Bathing Pool - 1300mm Long, 500mm Wide, and 300mm Deep.
Shallow Bathing Pool - 800mm Long, 500mm Wide, and 150mm Deep.
Waterfall Pool - 200mm Long, 160mm Wide, 80mm Deep.
Running Stream - Runs from waterfall pool to Shallow Bathing Pool.
Waterfall - 1500mm High, 600mm Wide.

The entire internal wall of the enclosure will be having a custom made rock wall built using the polygrout technique, and will have the waterfall incorporated into it. I will also be placing 6 60w green heatlamps on the top, aswell as 6 flush lowlight LED spotlamps down the two sides (3 either side). The waterfall will have a pond filter attached to it enabling a constant fresh supply, and will run from the top of the waterfall, into the pool, down the stream, into the shallows, into the deeps, and then back up to the top. I am also fitting two large 5% UVB’s to the top.

Now i know you are all keeping one or even two in Exoterra’s but over here in the UK i have not found any CB’s and therefore my first stock would be mostly WC. It seems a little contradicting (Buying WC to breed CB for the market) and it took me a while to justify what i was planning. I figured if i give them the absolute best surroundings, then they will feel comfortable when arriving. I am still waiting to find out how good a deal the Vets can give me on the tests when the MHD’s arrive.

It is hard for me to explain what the viv will end up looking like, so here is a picture that i found online and is also what i am aiming to make the vivarium look like.

http://www.123rf.com/photo_8105945_waterfall-in-the-rainforest-cambodia.html

My main question is, how many MHD’s would YOU consider putting into an enclosure this size? If you have anything else you would like to suggest please feel free to do so. I have been keeping arboreals for a long time and MHD’s certainly caught my eye a while back, and this is something i would love to do for them. I begin building the enclosure from scratch this weekend.

10/26/11  08:36pm

Thehide
View Profile

Message To: Thehide   In reference to Message Id: 2242043

MHD Breeding

So nobody fancies answering the questions? =(

10/27/11  03:05pm

Alex.M
View Profile

Message To: Thehide   In reference to Message Id: 2242109

MHD Breeding

i got this off froggieb’s website "The Enclosure should be a minimum of 130 cm (4 feet) high, 100 cm (3 feet) long, and 50 cm (1.5 feet) deep. The larger the better! If keeping more than one Mountain Horned Dragon (MHD) this should be increased to allow each to establish his own territory."

hope it helps
also this section is pretty dead.

10/28/11  06:14pm

Thehide
View Profile

Message To: Alex.M   In reference to Message Id: 2242242

MHD Breeding

Yeah i have done a lot (maybe too much) research on these, with the bulk of it coming from the website you suggested. Most people supply an adult pair with a 2ft high viv, whereas mine will obviously be much larger. Thanks for the reply, i kinda noticed this place is dead which is a shame because so is everywhere else when it comes to MHD’s!

10/28/11  08:42pm

Alex.M
View Profile

Message To: Thehide   In reference to Message Id: 2242256

MHD Breeding

yeah i wish there was more on these guys also. so ive got a pair in an 18"x18"x24" tall like you said most do, now to me this feels a little small as i find they can get a little territorial they dont seem to be too bad in this size but i would say thats bare minimum for 2 of them. and if you have more than one male in the same enclosure im thinking an even bigger viv would be necessary. anyways i would love to see how the progress is on your custom vivarium ive been longing to make my own. i wanted to make a 18"deep by 4 feet wide and 4 feet tall.

10/28/11  11:27pm

Thehide
View Profile

Message To: Alex.M   In reference to Message Id: 2242287

MHD Breeding

I’ll be updating the project online everytime things change so here’s a link:

www.thehide.webs.com

Thanks for the interest.

10/29/11  08:13am

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area