Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mountain Horned Dragons Forum

Replvr55   Gravel1   Replvr55   Replvr55   Sarabellum   Replvr55   Sarabellum   Replvr55   Sarabellum   Replvr55   Gravel1   Replvr55   Sarabellum   Replvr55   Sarabellum   Replvr55   Sarabellum   Bosc monitor   Replvr55   Replvr55   Kago   Frocto  
 Member  Message

Replvr55
View Profile

New baby

Hello, I just purchased a baby MHD. Just wanted to show him to whomever looks here..

I think its a male and its a Capra. No name yet..
Will be taking him to vet monday to get fecal done and checked out. He is very alert. I still have to make his permanant home but we have him in a tank for now with vines and tomorrow we will get it all worked out. Ill post more pics then.

I am very excited I saw him and couldnt resist. I had one a couple yrs back but she was sick when we bought her and didnt know much about the species...

I have done my research and feel confident about this one. :)

Have a good one!
Lauren~

01/31/10  05:22am

Gravel1
View Profile

Message To: Replvr55   In reference to Message Id: 2118952

New baby

very cool

01/31/10  04:01pm

Replvr55
View Profile

Message To: Gravel1   In reference to Message Id: 2119058

New baby

Thanks. Here are the pics I said I was gonna post up of the new way it looks for now till his terrerium comes in mail. Its only temp!!

I have everything he needs I think. He looks a little lethargic but I put him in his bowl for 20 mins and he perked up before bed. I will take to vet and keep posted.

Lauren

01/31/10  07:11pm

Replvr55
View Profile

Message To: Replvr55   In reference to Message Id: 2119125

New baby

Here are new pics of him. He weighs 14 grams and I took a poop in today. Waiting for results..

02/02/10  03:07pm

Sarabellum
View Profile

Message To: Replvr55   In reference to Message Id: 2119125

New baby

I have that same hiding type thing you have in your tank. my mhds love it lol. he looks good though, kinda like my male ares they are both similar size, yours is just a little more green.

02/07/10  10:10pm

Replvr55
View Profile

Message To: Sarabellum   In reference to Message Id: 2121353

New baby

New pics from today... 2-8

How does he look?

02/08/10  11:47pm

Sarabellum
View Profile

Message To: Replvr55   In reference to Message Id: 2121758

New baby

he looks awesome..how lethargic is he? he looks pretty healthy though, not too skinny and he seems alert.

02/09/10  07:22pm

Replvr55
View Profile

Message To: Sarabellum   In reference to Message Id: 2121983

New baby

So I dont know honestly. I think he might have mites. He is getting worse it seems. Maybe has a upper-respitory infection. He has at least one eye open throughout the day but sometimes closing both.

What temps do you do for yours? I read if they are sick to up the temps to like 85. I know they arent supossed to get higher than that but I guess when sick its ok.

Im worried about him. I had to make him open his eyes to take pics. The others were closed eyes.

I trynot to hold him much due to stress. But I at least feed him and make sure he gets in his water everyday. I got him to eat a small worm. I put it in his mouth and it took a while for him to even chew it. He has slim in his mouth like thick mucus. That right there worries me...

I have that paper that says they will pay for vet bills. So Im callin tomorrow to get this guy some vet attention!

02/09/10  09:16pm

Sarabellum
View Profile

Message To: Replvr55   In reference to Message Id: 2122016

New baby

definitely a good idea about the vet. lol i wish i could like buy one from terrific pets and give it to you. the one they have now is a female like my Athena just not full grown and i hand fed her the other day. she’s fat and healthy and runs all over the place. probably want to get that mucus checked out, but it may be from that pedialyte stuff you are feeding sometimes they dont swallow it all, mine didn’t at least. my temps are in the upper 70s- probably 76 or so. i have a small water heater that keeps the water a little warm, they seem to like it better than room temp.

02/09/10  10:01pm

Replvr55
View Profile

Message To: Sarabellum   In reference to Message Id: 2122035

New baby

I noticed the mucus b4 feeding him the slurry. I checked on him. He moved again. He looks ok. I ut some olive oil on him to help with mites if thats what I see. I sriously can not handle another pet dying. Esp so soon...

I would like a male right now mainly for the egg aspect. But we will see. I just dont know yet about them. I am used to desert dwellers. My guys are simple. They dont need much water and then I go get a lizard that needs ample water and vet visits... lol

02/09/10  10:16pm

Gravel1
View Profile

Message To: Replvr55   In reference to Message Id: 2122042

New baby

A suggestion is a really big water tub mine is approx 12" L by 6" W by 3" deep. She loves it and swims around in it all the time. It really helps with shedding to.

02/11/10  07:08pm

Replvr55
View Profile

Message To: Gravel1   In reference to Message Id: 2122569

New baby

So today I turned his lights on and he is very dark and much skinnier that he was. His skin is kind of hanging off. I dont know if its b/c he just woke up. I might have done a mistake. When I first got him, I put the coconut and soil mix with basking 78ish and at night 68-70. I did this for about a week. Now, I decided I wanted him to have more humidity b/c vet said he was dehydrated. So I took out the dirt mix and put in clean fish gravel and water. I also got a bubbler and a large fake palm tree to hang out on. I moved his cage back in my room where it is quite. Before it was noisy with my son and the cats and people.

I forgot this was a big change...and his new enclosure will be here soon as well. Yet..another change.

What do I do to keep him hydrated one and two, does anyone think that this sudden difference could have stressed him?

I just want to make sure he stays healthy b4 I see bad signs...

All I can think of is, force feed earthworms, and some slurry with vitiamins, keep temps around 85 basking area and 78 cool side?

The temps is what messes me up. I cant figure out what he needs... The vet also said when being treated for parasites raise the temp to what is the max which would be 85. I still do have a cool side though. Before I had it hottest at 78-79. THis temp change could also have an effect right?

Thanks for any help!!
Lauren

02/12/10  09:40am

Sarabellum
View Profile

Message To: Replvr55   In reference to Message Id: 2122684

New baby

hmm..im not sure. 85 does seem kinda high. when mine was sick, i just put a heat pack under the tank on one side..i’d probably drop that down to like 82 or something. and any kind of change in his environment is most likely stressing him. they are easily stressed when they first get to your home. My Athena wouldn’t eat for almost 2 weeks, but I just left her alone. The pedialyte mixture you have should keep him hydrated. It’s good that you moved him though, high traffic areas just stress them out more when they are trying to adjust.

02/12/10  01:01pm

Replvr55
View Profile

Message To: Sarabellum   In reference to Message Id: 2122734

New baby

So I just took him out and he lightened up a bit. I fed him an earthworm and he sat up on my pillow for a bit. I went under his mouth to pet him and he raised a small bit so that shows me he is aware and alert. I just pet him and moved on. He is back in his cage and hanging out on tree still pretty. His skin is dark b/c I think he is about to shed. His tail is crusty looking. Do they get real dark when they shed or what?

02/12/10  01:46pm

Sarabellum
View Profile

Message To: Replvr55   In reference to Message Id: 2122739

New baby

theres really no set color..sometimes mine are light or dark..it just depends on their mood and whats going on and everything. when they are about to shed their color just looks more dull and kinda starts to look flaky

02/13/10  03:18pm

Replvr55
View Profile

Message To: Sarabellum   In reference to Message Id: 2123085

New baby

Hey Sarabellum, I ws wonderig how long you have had your MHD’s and about how lon have you been into this species?

Today he looks good. I know they dont do much. That isnt my worry. Just his colors. You can see the green through the dark. I take him out about one or two times a day. Just to look around. He seems to be getting some strentgh. He has some fast legs on him. lol.

02/15/10  09:03am

Sarabellum
View Profile

Message To: Replvr55   In reference to Message Id: 2123558

New baby

ummm, i think almost a year now I’ve had Athena..then Ares for maybe 4 months..and the new guy for a month

02/18/10  01:40pm

Bosc monitor
View Profile

Message To: Sarabellum   In reference to Message Id: 2124509

New baby

cool they are really cool looking

02/19/10  11:44am

Replvr55
View Profile

Message To: Bosc monitor   In reference to Message Id: 2124777

New baby

Hello, here is the latest on Oliver...

He has been to vet several times to figure out some things...
He was put on Panacur for intestinal parasites...
He then started having red bumps on his skin and we put him on Baytril to help..
He now is shedding these red bumps off and looks to me like he is having a very hard shed. I cant tell what is going on with him.
He also will not keep his eyes open for more than a second unless I bath him.
He wont eat.. I have been force feeding.
This lil guy is very hard for me to figure out. He might have somehting else who knows!
I will get pics up in a few, its time for his feeding and gatorade intake... Poor baby!!!

Thanks,
Lauren

03/08/10  03:17pm

Replvr55
View Profile

Message To: Bosc monitor   In reference to Message Id: 2124777

New baby

Here is the latest pic of him. IT shows his skin issues but he has gone down since then. His eyes are starting to sink in. Im worried. Dehyrdation will kill him if I cant get him to eat or drink!!! Ugh!!

03/08/10  03:57pm

Kago
View Profile

Message To: Replvr55   In reference to Message Id: 2131143

New baby

Make sure he’s getting soaked in clean, warm water each day.
Also, my MHDs get really excited about waxworms. I don’t know if you’ve tried those yet, but I hear they are a real help.
MHDs can be picky about water, so try a drip set or a bubbler in his water dish. You can also watch after misting him to see if he’ll drink it off things in the enclosure.

04/12/11  07:10pm

Frocto
View Profile

Message To: Kago   In reference to Message Id: 2214131

New baby

Just in case you still look at the boards here how is this guy doing now?
Also that is not a Capra, looks more like a lepidogaster. They are a feisty smaller species and notoriously hard to get acclimated as most are wild caught. The best way to tell that they are healthy is that they will try to bite more often and scramble away when you try to catch them.

07/29/11  08:15am

Back to Mountain Horned Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area