Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

MarcJ   Bmxking658   MarcJ   Bmxking658   MarcJ   3240   MarcJ  

Member  Message

MarcJ
View Profile

Baby Savannah monitor acting weird help

I rescued a maybe month old Savannah monitor about 2 weeks ago. Currently she is in a 55 gallon tank, I know I know, it isn’t a suitable tank. However I’m moving to a larger house within a month where I can give her a suitable area. It doesn’t have a mesh top it has a lid top so I don’t think keeping humidity is an issue. As for light bulbs I have a 100 watt basking lamp, a daytime not sure of wattage , a uvb, and a couple other various bulbs however I only have 2 fixtures. I’m running the 100 watt basking and the daytime bulb and they are hanging approx. 10-12" from basking spot. Basking temp is 110 - 130F cool side is between 75 - 85. For hides she has a hollow rock (which she loves) and a half log. She has a large water dish and a small water dish. I put a small branch in so she can climb on but she hasn’t yet. For basking I put a ceramic tile left over from a project. Her favorite hide is also on ceramic tile. I have a temp sensor on hot side and humidity in the middle. I often take temp reading with infrared temp gun. The tank has 8 inches of top soil / play sand mix.
I think that’s it on the setup. When I first rescued her she didn’t eat much. Maybe 2 super worms a day. After a couple days she was eating 4-5 a day. I have dried crickets and dried meal worms and she doesn’t want them at all. I also have multi vitamin and calcium but I’m unsure on how to apply it. I tong feed her the super worms. I’m afraid she will eat less or not at all if I only offer her super worms covered in powder. Now on to the issue were having. She isn’t eating its like she tries but get frustrated and gives up. She falls over like she loses her balance on flat ground. When she goes for food sometimes she misses and gets a mouth full of dirt and takes her a couple seconds to realize it isn’t food. What could be the reason of this? Please help!

05/08/17  09:15am

Bmxking658
View Profile

Message To: MarcJ   In reference to Message Id: 2320654

I think your set up is close to fine for a very young sav. Most people raise hatchlings in a glass tank. Id say first make sure that basking spot is more like 135. 110 is definitely too low. Secondly does it seem dehydrated? Like sunken eyes or wrinkled skin. It should be humid feeling when you open the lid, but the top layer of soil should be dry. The deeper layers should be damp, not soggy. Could be loaded with worms or parasites but you can’t really start a treatment until it’s eating. I think more experienced keepers of rescued animals should give their input, this is just where I would suggest starting from. Hope it pulls through and becomes healthy. If it does check out Savannahmonitor.net that seems to be one of the best sites for them that I’ve come across.

05/08/17  12:24pm

MarcJ
View Profile

Message To: Bmxking658   In reference to Message Id: 2320656

Thanks for the advice. I offered her another super worm today and she went back into her hide without eating. Pretty soon I’ll have to take her to the vet if she doesn’t start eating. Her eyes aren’t sunken but her skin is kind of wrinkled. She has looked like she was going to shed because of color but since I sprayed her tank it’s back to normal. Have you herd of them losing their balance or falling over? Since I have 2 light fixtures what bulbs do you recommend? I have read that regular flood lights work well. Also the second fixture should I have a night heat bulb instead?

05/08/17  06:29pm

Bmxking658
View Profile

Message To: MarcJ   In reference to Message Id: 2320658

I use par38 flood bulbs for my monitors. Make sure they are flood and not spot because flood makes a wider area of heat. The ones I use are dimmable and I use an inline dimmer controller. It has a male plug and a female plug so you just plug your light into it and plug the dimmer into the outlet, nice and easy, and now you can adjust your temps easily. Home depot sells the dimmer. If your room temps drop below 70 I would definitely use a ceramic heat emitter.

05/10/17  07:06pm

MarcJ
View Profile

Message To: Bmxking658   In reference to Message Id: 2320667

I went to pet store and bought another fixture and found another one in basement. I changed the setup to 150w daytime basking, 100w daytime basking, 250w infrared night and a uvb. I thought that humidity was ok but I’m starting to wonder if it’s a bad meter. Today it was 40% she doesn’t have sunken eyes but her skin looks dry. I used sand soil mix and wondering if there was anything I can add to help retain moisture. I’m trying to upload a picture but it lags and times out on the page. Do you have any thought on why she has a problem with balance and almost tipping over?

05/11/17  07:24am

View Profile

Message To: MarcJ   In reference to Message Id: 2320668

That’s a lot of wattage for a 55 gallon tank. I use nothing but a 70 watt megaray in my 4’ x 2’ raise up troughs. Ambient temps are in the 80’s and basking temps are 120+. Glass tanks don’t insulate well and I’m assuming that you don’t have a solid top. The type of wattage that you’re using will turn your monitor into beef jerky.

05/11/17  05:09pm

MarcJ
View Profile

Message To: 3240   In reference to Message Id: 2320670

I have the original aquarium top it has 2 flip up lids in the main "frame" of the lid and the original fluorescent light fixture on top but not being used. I have noticed that since I changed the bulbs around she has been more active. She has began eating again but not as much as I think she should. She will eat one or two small dusted cricuit and a super worm. Before she just wouldn’t eat. Her temps are much better now also except for basking. The tile I put directly under basking light gets up to 150f with the night bulb but day bulb it’s right at 130. Cool side is around 80 and humidity is between 35 and 45%. My main concern is how she is acting.. She almost falls over when she’s walking around the tank. It almost looks like she has lost her balance. Any ideas?

05/16/17  11:28am

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area