Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Srkm   Steven Stevenson  

Member  Message

Srkm
View Profile

Nile monitor shuddering?

My hatchling nile monitor, Caesar, was purchased in October from what seems like a pretty reputable breeder. He is only about 9-10 inches long and is in a thirty-gallon tank with plenty of space. His basking spot is around 130 degrees F, his diet consists of a combination of (plain) scrambled eggs, superworms, crickets, and occasionally other food items. He has everything that he should need to love a healthy and happy life as indicated by my own research. However, over the past few weeks, I’ve noticed that his limbs and tail have started twitching and shuddering whenever he is alerted (e.g. when I approach the cage/feed and water him, etc). I quickly Googled his symptoms, but didn’t find anything relating to this problem. When I checked on him today, he was immobile even when handled, something I typically avoid at that age, except for his lack of reaction when approached. He tracked me with his eyes and respirated heavily, but did not show any movement except for his limbs shivering and twitching as if he was trying to move but couldn’t. A much more detailed search of the internet revealed nothing relating to this type of symptom. The only thing I can think of that might come close to matching these symptoms is early stages of MBD, but to my knowledge he is provided with everything he needs to avoid developing such an extreme condition. I have of course checked for signs of indigestion/impaction, and found none. His body appears to be completely healthy, except for his frighteningly sudden and severe "paralysis."

I have kept reptiles and amphibians for years, but Caesar is my first monitor. If any more experienced monitor keepers have encountered this problem and/or know how to deal with it, please let me know. I strive to provide all my animals the most healthy and happy life possible, and his condition has got my terrified that he may be in danger of death.

Thank you in advance.

01/31/17  08:25pm

Steven Stevenson
View Profile

Message To: Srkm   In reference to Message Id: 2320223

Nile monitor shuddering?

Do you offer any calcium or D3 supplementation? Is the monitor completely paralyzed?
Id suggest to see a vet. If you cannot, I can probably help you diagnose and treat the problem.

02/06/17  03:58pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area