Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Fallenstmichael   Fallenstmichael   Varanid74  

Member  Message

Fallenstmichael
View Profile

Severely malnourished Savannah monitor baby

So about a week ago my girl and I stopped at our local pet store for a new bulb and food, while there we found this poor baby sav in a VERY sad state. We purchased the little guy and brought him home but he is still very skinny and it is rare to see him eat. I have caught him hunting and catching crickets once or twice, while the first two nights my girl tong fed him two crickets-each night he had trouble swallowing the second. he has finally started having some defensive behavior and soaking in his water but he is still in an alarming state and I would like any advise there is to offer in order to ensure he recovers as well as this morning I noticed he is not opening his eyes at all. Somehow He is still moving around his tank to his favorite hiding and basking spots, and he is being active right now but I don’t like his eyes not opening. He is still about as thin as my middle finger (believe it or not he has bulked up a fair amount since we got him.) But he is no where near the healthy size of out other one, both being about 6-7 inches long. He is currently in a temporary 20g tank, coconut shell bedding that I rewet every day, two hiding spots and a branch to climb on under his light. His basking temp gets to be around 110-120’.

08/23/16  08:15am

Fallenstmichael
View Profile

Message To: Fallenstmichael   In reference to Message Id: 2319334

I have pictures of him and his enclosure, as well as my healthy one but I can’t seem to figure out how to upload my pictures on here. I’m using an Android phone, I have no computer

08/23/16  08:17am

Varanid74
View Profile

Message To: Fallenstmichael   In reference to Message Id: 2319335

I know you were trying to do the right thing but you should never, ever buy sick or dying animals from pet shops, the reality is that you just told that retailer that it’s perfectly OK to sell half dead animals and gave them money to go buy more animals to die and suffer.
Remember every one wild caught monitor you see in a shop represents 3-5 animals that died in transit/holding
As hard as it is the best thing to do is to stick the retailer with the cost of dead animals, so they might think twice before buying more.
Now the best thing you can do is offer appropriate husbandry and hope for the best.
Try using a syringe with diluted cat food to force feed the animal, then leave it alone once it starts taking food on it’s own.
best of luck.

08/26/16  10:06am

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area