Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Alexis31   Varanid74   Alexis31   Varanid74   Alexis31  

Member  Message

Alexis31
View Profile

Savannah monitor won’t eat insects offered

I got my Savannah monitor about a week ago. The enclosure set up is fine. He has lots of places to hide and such. temps. And humidity are good. The only problem is I can’t seem to get him to eat any insects offered. He won’t go for crickets, mealworms, or roaches. Any other insects I could try to feed him? Do you think he would go for earthworms?

08/21/16  08:16am

Varanid74
View Profile

Message To: Alexis31   In reference to Message Id: 2319326

Obviously your enclosure set up is not fine. Post pics of your enclosure. If you have a screened top enclosure with a light on top your set up is not fine and is the reason your animal is not eating. 99% of the time these problems are caused by bad husbandry because of poorly designed enclosures, usually by people who think that the enclosure is fine and temps/humidity are fine, most likely they are not.
Without pics of your set up nobody can help you.

08/22/16  10:58am

Alexis31
View Profile

Message To: Varanid74   In reference to Message Id: 2319327

I currently can not upload any pictures but I assure of you hasbandry is fine. Why are people on the forum so rude? His temps, humidity and cage setup is perfect he is just refusing insects. I do not have a screen top on his enclosure either. I have been giving him vitamins with the food he does eat. He is just refusing insects. He shows no interest in them. I know enough about monitors to own one or else I wouldn’t have gotten one. I’ve just never seen them refuse insects. But thanks for the reply anyway...

08/27/16  04:51pm

Varanid74
View Profile

Message To: Alexis31   In reference to Message Id: 2319355

I’m sorry if someone being honest with you seems rude, but I’m not going to sugar coat anything for you.
If you animal is not eating/thriving then your husbandry is not up to snuff, period.
Go to a photo hosing site such as photobucket and upload your pictures.
I’ve been keeping and breeding monitors for over 25 years, have yet to see this type of problem not be related to husbandry.
But I guess I’m a rude a hole so I’ll just wish you the best.

08/28/16  11:28am

Alexis31
View Profile

Message To: Varanid74   In reference to Message Id: 2319360

You just came off as rude, Not everybody on here is irresponsible with their pets. However I guess I was just worrying too much about him because this morning he was chasing down and eating crickets like normal so I suppose all is well. Thanks for getting back to me anyway.

08/28/16  12:39pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area