Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Drexel   PuppyLizard   Drexel   PuppyLizard   PuppyLizard   Varanus Sapien  

Member  Message

Drexel
View Profile

Found Abandoned Savannah....NEED HELP!

My friend’s neighbor’s kid saw someone pull over and drop a box on the side of the highway. He found a young/baby Savannah monitor inside. Asked her if she wanted it and she said no. Two days later, she found it in one of her older chameleon cages outside. She doesn’t know how long it was out there. I’m going to take him to the vet next week, but in the meantime, I put him in a 55 gal with soil, a "shoe box" to soak, ceramic heat lamp, a heat spot light, and a nice big rock for basking. I was not prepared to have a monitor thrown on me. lol

I’ve owned Iguanas in the past. In fact, a rescue I ended up keeping for the last twelve years just died in December. I’ve never owned a monitor. On to the question....he/she isn’t eating. She lays on the rock or soil all day. Now, I’ve only had her two days, but I’m not sure whether she ate when she was at my friend’s house. Could this be from stress, like with chameleons and iguanas, or should I make an emergency vet visit?

07/15/16  04:18pm

PuppyLizard
View Profile

Message To: Drexel   In reference to Message Id: 2319125

I tried to send you a private message several times, but kept getting server errors. Have you gotten the answers you need to help the found Sav?

07/17/16  07:06am

Drexel
View Profile

Message To: PuppyLizard   In reference to Message Id: 2319132

No, I haven’t. You’re the first to reply. He/she’s moved around the enclosure, but is mainly sleeping. I won’t be able to get him to the vet until sometime later in the week as the closest herp vet is over an hour away. I feel so bad for this poor thing!

07/17/16  08:28am

PuppyLizard
View Profile

Message To: Drexel   In reference to Message Id: 2319133

Okay. Just tried again to message you and got an error. This group is slow to respond. There is lots of good info in the Archives here, but you have to dig for it. Better for now, since you need immediate help and Savs have very specific enclosure, temps and humidity requirements --to go the the Facebook page, Savannah Monitor Group. Read every file they have on feeding and enclosure. The people who admin that group are very direct and very helpful and friendly. I’m not an expert, but am successfully raising a heathy young Sav currently. You can email me personally and I will assist any way I can.

Carla

07/18/16  08:36am

PuppyLizard
View Profile

Message To: PuppyLizard   In reference to Message Id: 2319141

Okay, so I see that my email address was deleted, so obviously it is not possible to share that type info in this forum. Friend me on Facebook. I don’t mind who knows my name.. Carla Hawkinson

07/18/16  09:06am

Varanus Sapien
View Profile

Message To: PuppyLizard   In reference to Message Id: 2319142

Put it back where you found it, it most likely will die anyway.

07/24/16  06:49pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area