Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

PuppyLizard   Dajuice   PuppyLizard  

Member  Message

PuppyLizard
View Profile

Feeding wild caught insects, general care, young Savannah

I’m new here and have been out of reptiles for several years. I’ve been enjoying reading all your posts. I’m getting back into herps with a pair of crested geckos and a young Savannah monitor (10 inches). I’m modifying a large 4x8 cage (used for a previous monitor) for my Savannah --to make it in keeping with current husbandry concepts. He (she?)is currently housed in an appropriate enclosure for his size and I’ve provided soil for burrowing, hide places, appropriate temp and humidity ranges, water. I remove him once or twice daily to feed him in a smaller enclosure bedded with paper towels, so I can monitor intake and prevent ingesting substrate (soil). After feeding, I place him in a shallow container of water to soak and poop, which helps keep the cage cleaner. His diet currently consist of gut loaded crickets, night crawlers, pinkies and Repashy Meat Pie. He is a very happy and hearty eater. Here is my question- I live on a small farm. We do not use pesticides. Today I noticed the Japanese beetles are here in force. Have any of you fed wild caught insects or do you stay away from that? What about beetles? Do their crusty shells present a problem or impaction risk? Any other thoughts? Thank you, Carla

06/20/16  11:02am

Dajuice
View Profile

Message To: PuppyLizard   In reference to Message Id: 2318841

I stay away from free range insects because you never know what they’ve ingested. Round worms and other parasites incubate in the ground. Just a little risky in my book. It is pretty easy to breed your own insects tho. Especially crickets. Dubia’s, hisser’s etc will take a while to grow a sustainable stock but definitely a must in my opinion for a sav.

06/21/16  03:04pm

PuppyLizard
View Profile

Message To: Dajuice   In reference to Message Id: 2318858

Thank you so much for your reply. That makes sense.

I’m fascinated by this little guy. I can sit and look at him for hours. Tonight he ate 15 big crickets and his little belly was so rotund!

Back when I got my first monitor, I read everything available on care at the time, but made plenty of mistakes, unknowingly.

Now that there has been more research and information is at our fingertips, there is no excuse for not knowing or not asking when you don’t know.

I’m having fun watching him burrow. He’s only 10 inches, growing rapidly in the few weeks I’ve had him--already he has created two burrows--one in the warm end of his enclosure and one at the cool end. He’s very inquisitive. I’m really enjoying him. Right now, his name is Puppy Lizard, until I can think of something better.

Thanks again for your help!

06/21/16  06:12pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area