Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Reen   Reptictale10   Icearstorm   Reptictale10   Reen   Reptictale10   Reen   Reptictale10   Varanus Sapien   3240   Dajuice  

Member  Message

Reen
View Profile

Help

I just bought a 2 year old female Asian water monitor a few days ago, brought her home put her in her new enclosure. 8ft long 5 ft wide 4ft tall. Left her along for 2 days or so, took her out to day to feed her and give her a bath in the tub and she really didn’t like me touching her at all. She at the rat, and I left her in the tub for 30 mins then I took her out and she regurgitated the rat back up as I put her in her cage, I have had many Asian water monitors before and this has never happend to me before. My big boy (Lenny) he was 4 years old at 5ft he was an amazing Asian water monitor never bit hissed or whiped me loved to be held and loved my attention. But unfortunately he passed away on me because I kepted him at my moms house but unfortunately she passed away and I had to move him to my house ASAP in the middle of winter and he got a upper respiratory infection and the vets around me have no idea of what there doing. It’s sad really :( so now 2 years later I decided to get another one ( they are my favourite monitor ) she is really mean doesn’t like to be held and regurgitates all her food when I try and put her back in her cage.( I don’t like feeding in the cage) I need some help how do I stop her from being so aggressive when I can’t even hold her or even try and touch her for her to get use to me ??And regurgitating up her food ? I know it’s very bad for them to regurgitate there food. ???????

05/31/16  03:00am

Reptictale10
View Profile

Message To: Reen   In reference to Message Id: 2318528

Help

Regurgitate is a way to make the faster when they feel threaten an the feel they cant run with a belly full of food. So my advice would be to stop moving her. Feed her in the enclosure an let her get use too you an tolerant of you.

05/31/16  05:39am

Icearstorm
View Profile

Help

The regurgitation probably isn’t too serious; many reptiles (mostly non-tame ones) will do so if handled soon after eating. I once had a broad-headed skink that regurgitated a whole anole when I reached in the terrarium to get it. It seemed otherwise healthy and never had another issue, so I think stress was the problem. Is there any way you could transfer your monitor back to its cage without touching it? Perhaps you could feed her in a shorter container with a lid or cover on and then put the container into the cage, take the lid off, and wait for her to crawl out. This would probably help prevent regurgitation while she isn’t tame. I’m not sure as far as taming goes, but letting her adjust for a few more days may help.

05/31/16  05:52am

Reptictale10
View Profile

Message To: Icearstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2318531

Help

Don’t attempt to "tame" any monitor. They will build a natrual tolerance of you. Feeding the monitor in the cage is not a bad thing. Costant regurgitation can harm your monitor. Its never a good thing. Try something smaller as food aswell.

05/31/16  08:27am

Reen
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale10   In reference to Message Id: 2318536

Help

Tryed pinkies She regurgitated them tryed mediums she regurgitated them to. Also heard feeding them in the cage makes them very territorial of the cage and they will bite you every time you go into it Is that true? I always used to feed Lenny in different stops all over the house and I let him find it so he didn’t think my hands were food. This one seems really shy and doesn’t like to be held, she squirms all over the place when I attempt to hold her, then when I put her back down she regurgitates all her food up and then will eat it after. How do I get her to trust me if I can’t hold her ??

05/31/16  02:45pm

Reptictale10
View Profile

Message To: Reen   In reference to Message Id: 2318548

Help

Its a myth most of us here that are experienced an rasiex these reptiles for years will tell you that. I feed mines in his enclosure, now i do recommend getting tongs to feed. An by getting her to know you is through costant interactions example water changes, spot cleaning, and just sitting bavk observing her. Through all that in time she will come to not seeing you as a threat and tolerate you.

05/31/16  02:54pm

Reen
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale10   In reference to Message Id: 2318549

Help

That’s what I have been doing thanks everyone for your help :)

05/31/16  03:12pm

Reptictale10
View Profile

Message To: Reen   In reference to Message Id: 2318550

Help

Don’t mention it. Water monitors a shy at first but through constantly showing yourself they will allow quite a bit.

05/31/16  03:26pm

Varanus Sapien
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale10   In reference to Message Id: 2318551

Help

If you’ve in fact had a water monitor then why are you worried? My Argus is 10 months old and will not come to me, so patience is key to building trust. Force handling is making it sick, must have been a wild caught or one that had not been handled much. Consider taking it back if it is an option.

05/31/16  03:36pm

View Profile

Help

Reen,

If you can, post some pics of your enclosure. Regurgitation is not normal. It can be caused by stress or improper temps and can be a serious problem. Please feed your monitor in her enclosure. Removing her for feeding or forcing her to take a bath is just going to cause problems. In time she may become tolerant of you but don’t force it. Right now you need to focus on your husbandry and figure out why she’s regurgitating her meals.

05/31/16  03:52pm

Dajuice
View Profile

Message To: 3240   In reference to Message Id: 2318558

Help

That info you got about not feeding it in its cage is probably one of if not the sole cause of your problem. Try feeding leaving its food in its enclosure and take a more hands off approach for a while.

05/31/16  08:20pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area