Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Sammydogjj   Sammydogjj   Yaksha  

Member  Message

Sammydogjj
View Profile

Nile Monitor (V. Niloticus) Advice/Caging/Heating

Hi there! New to this forum and I have some questions. Recently, I ordered a Nile Monitor from a website. It had a free shipping option, but under the terms that it would arrive 30 days from now. However, I was extremely thrown off when I got an email stating it had been shipped the next day, and arrived the same day I got the email. I rushed to my local pet store and got all the supplies I needed. He has a twisty stick for climbing, a x-large half log for a hide, and a false leaf arrangement for hiding and climbing as well. He has a small ceramic dish for drinking, which is raised higher than the rest of the tank along with his basking rock. Right now I’m feeding crickets, and the temperatures are 72 on the cool side, 84 on the warm side, and 94 on his basking area (measured with infrared temp gun). When I first got him he was eating around three crickets a day. I’m not sure how much he eats now, because I throw them in and he completely ignores them. He is usually basking. Only at certain times have I seen him get up and go on an eating rampage with all the crickets. I can’t really tell how much he eats because the crickets are all hidden as well. He is around 9-10" including his tail, and still a hatchling. I’ve had him two weeks. I read on some forums and care sheets that 90 is an acceptable basking temp, but I’m just not following that. I always thought it was much higher, like in the 110-120 range. Anyways, I was just wondering if you all thought he was alright and what should I change. He is in a 29 gallon aquarium, but it’s as long as a 55, pretty much right at 3 feet. I’m already constructing his permanent home. In his cage right now, he has a 2:1 mix of Exo Terra Coco Fiber:Repti-Bark. I mist every day and keep the soil moist for burrowing, which he loves. The humidity stays around 60-80. I have a 75w basking bulb in, and a mesh top. I covered all of the mesh top with one of the cloth tank liners, but it isn’t too secure and I know heat/humidity escapes. It is just laying on top.
Anyways, looking for suggestions! If any other info is needed, please ask! Please only suggest upgrades/advice for my 29 gallon, as it will be a while before I finish the other enclosure. I have another SLIGHTLY longer tank as well, but I’m gonna setup the 29 for now.
Also, to note: he does have a small bowl for cooling off in the water, around 6" crock. I’m in the process of putting in a larger tupperware bin for him so he can fit his whole body in it. I usually handle him every other day and take him out for swimming in a large bathtub of warm/hot water, which he loves.
Advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

04/29/16  06:31pm

Sammydogjj
View Profile

Message To: Sammydogjj   In reference to Message Id: 2318248

Also, he spends a lot of time sleeping/basking. It is either his temperatures being too low or him being handled often. He does explore a lot too, but the majority of his time is spent sleeping and basking. Suggestions would be much appreciated!

04/29/16  06:33pm

Yaksha
View Profile

Message To: Sammydogjj   In reference to Message Id: 2318249

Basking should be a bit higher i usually like around the 120 range myself. If he is big enough try feeding him a pinky mouse about once a week for the first little while as well, then increase in amount and size as he gets bigger. also make sure to dust the some of the crickets with calcium/d3 powder as well to make sure he gets his nutrients. maybe if you are able to increase the depth of the soil that will help hold in moisture as well. and maybe put some plexy glass over the top of half-3/4 of the tank to help hold in the heat and moisture. good luck

04/30/16  02:55pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area