Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

GrovesOfTrees   GrovesOfTrees   Takahiro111   GrovesOfTrees   Yaksha  

Member  Message

GrovesOfTrees
View Profile

Adopted a two year old Savannah Monitor

Okay. So my boyfriend is in the military and when he got shipped out he left behind his two year old Savannah monitor. I adopted her but from the research I’ve done he hasn’t taken good care of her. She’s only about 22 inches long and in a 55 gallon glass tank. She eats 8 super worms a day except on Mondays she gets 50 crickets dusted with calcium and Thursdays she gets a dead mouse. This is the meal plan he came up with and I’ve continued it because I’m not sure what else to do. I know she needs a bigger tank and I’ve been looking into them but they are apparently not easy to find and as far as I know we don’t have any reptile shops in town so I;ve been looking into getting one custom built. She has a 75 watt heat lamp that is on all the time and a 100 watt light lamp that is on from 9am-9pm. I don’t know what the temps are at but I’m sure they are not high enough. She has one place to hide and she curls up in there to sleep, a water bowl, and one little basking stone which I also know needs to be bigger. He had sand in there for some reason but I replaced that with eco earth sub-straight the first or second night I had her. She loves digging in it which is really cute because she never did that in the sand. I really want to take good care of her but honestly I’m new to this so any and all advice is welcome!

04/19/16  01:07am

GrovesOfTrees
View Profile

Message To: GrovesOfTrees   In reference to Message Id: 2317985

Also she hasn’t been pooping very often. Like two times in almost three weeks. I don’t know if this is normal or not and if not what do I do about it?

04/19/16  01:10am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: GrovesOfTrees   In reference to Message Id: 2317985

Use a sand/soil mixture. I keep my overall humidity 60 with the hot end obviously low because heat and deep under his substrate the humidity is 80-90% although it changes, he’s digging because ecoearth can get moist and help with humidity so I’m assuming his cage doesn’t have the right humidity ranges thus him digging. You can also build your own cage because tanks are not a cage for monitors,he needs a more varied diet. You’ll need 2 digital thermometers and a humidity gauge and a temp gun, every one has a specific purpose. Digital humidity gauge to read accurate humidity levels, thermometer to read accurate temps on both sides of the cage(ambient temps) while the temp gun is to read basking spots,floor temps. The daytime bulb shouldn’t be on all day that’s extremely stressful, if your home doesn’t get below 70-75°F you don’t need a night light but if it do get a infrared one. As you keep the uvb one on the other stays on too but at night they should be off to create a day/night cycle. Never guess temps because it can be too hot or too cold being dangerous for your reptile, but what I do know is a 75W in a 55 gal isn’t giving him the right temps. He needs another hide in fact multiple, its great you took out the sand because savs aren’t desert dwelling lizards and sand isn’t a good substrate. I’m worried about the pooping, it can be from your incorrect temps and humidity and overall caging, or even stress. I keep my sav in a 8 feet by 4 feet by 4 feet cage which is enough, my basking spot is 130°F and his diet is a variety of insects like roaches,snails,night crawlers,crickets,beetles and other worms, organic whole shrimp,crayfish, with some chicks and rodents. His substrate needs to be deep mine is 2 feet deep which seems okay.

04/19/16  03:19pm

GrovesOfTrees
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2317989

Thanks for some info! I’ve been looking into building a bigger cage because I cant find something I want locally. I’m thinking a 2 feet wide (because it has to be able to fit through the doorways in my house) by five feet long and five feet high. I have a friend who built a cage for his iguana and he’s going to help me build this one. I got some thermometers and her warmer side is at 80* and the cooler side at 73ish* and her humidity is at 50. I just found out another one of my friends is a former herpetologist and he said her coloring looks really good especially for the conditions she’s been in. She still isn’t pooping though which is really starting to concern me but we don’t have a large reptile community here.. so I cant exactly take her to a vet- I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t know what to do with her.

04/24/16  11:36pm

Yaksha
View Profile

Message To: GrovesOfTrees   In reference to Message Id: 2318201

Is her water dish large enough for her to submerge herself in.. and does she go in it? sometimes being in water can help them poop

04/25/16  06:46am

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area