Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

PrimelPythonsOwner   Charles Lee Ray   Takahiro111   PrimelPythonsOwner   Charles Lee Ray   Charles Lee Ray   Charles Lee Ray   PrimelPythonsOwner   Charles Lee Ray   DrzriderEd  

Member  Message

PrimelPythonsOwner
View Profile

Would like some info on Dumeril’s Monitors

Got a super cute dumeril’s and I say he/she is doing great but would like to know if anyone has suggestions only 6 months old and is a hisser and a wiper but not a biter how would I get him/her more calm in this way. What are some training technics I can use on Argon and are dumerils rare I have only seen two in my life the one I bought witch was captive bred and a wild caught 2 footer. And how bigger is it going to get but I won’t worry I have a 6 foot high 7 long and 5 wide tank so I’m I ok?

02/26/16  01:16am

Charles Lee Ray
View Profile

Message To: PrimelPythonsOwner   In reference to Message Id: 2317218

I know of no training techniques but regularly interacting with the monitor will eventually become easier if you at least handle him on an every other day basis. Soaking him in water technique the retards on youtube suggest will not work. If it is new, then leave him alone for a week or so then begin interactions even if it means you go into his enclosure and change the water, offer food or rearrange his habitat. I allow my monitor to walk around my room in between her foraging, I attempt to pick her up a few times in an hour. As she is walking by me, I move about so that she becomes accustomed to my movements and sees that I am no threat. When I can I offer my hand to her flat and sort of slide it over to her, rather than coming down onto her, to pick her up. I have been doing this for months she still huff’n’bluffs, now I am able to pick her up without being bitten. Juvenile monitors hiss an run, but I’ve been told once they become adults they change, gain more confidence I suppose.

02/26/16  07:06pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Charles Lee Ray   In reference to Message Id: 2317229

Agree with ya Charles and the soaking part...hilarious that just adds unwanted stress. I always interact with my monitors whenever I can. Everything you said I did even walking around is a good idea. I’m currently following these steps with the croc monitor and its helping but the progress is extremely slow.

02/26/16  07:13pm

PrimelPythonsOwner
View Profile

Message To: Charles Lee Ray   In reference to Message Id: 2317229

Thanks for the info and he is not the biting type and what type is you monitor?

02/28/16  07:30pm

Charles Lee Ray
View Profile

Message To: PrimelPythonsOwner   In reference to Message Id: 2317268

I’ve got a seven month old Argus, my second attempt at keeping these intelligent lizards. I really wanted to start with a Dumeril’s but I could not find a breeder or even a captive hatched hatchling. I hope your monitor has attitude because sometimes docility can mean illness or fear. Does he at least hiss and puff up on approach? Each individual varanid are unique, aside from what some description says on an internet article. Niles, such a Buddy on you tube, can be very easy going where as water monitors are sometimes monsters. The enclosure may or may not bring out the full character in the animal. Too dry, too small, or placed in a high traffic area creates a negative environment. Build as big as you can as soon as you can, seal up the top if its a converted aquarium. Stay away from varanus.net, lots of good information but very rude people, a close knit group whom don’t like ignorance or new keepers.

02/29/16  08:18pm

Charles Lee Ray
View Profile

I’ve got a seven month old Argus, my second attempt at keeping these intelligent lizards. I really wanted to start with a Dumeril’s but I could not find a breeder or even a captive hatched hatchling. I hope your monitor has attitude because sometimes docility can mean illness or fear. Does he at least hiss and puff up on approach? Each individual varanid are unique, aside from what some description says on an internet article. Niles, such a Buddy on you tube, can be very easy going where as water monitors are sometimes monsters. The enclosure may or may not bring out the full character in the animal. Too dry, too small, or placed in a high traffic area creates a negative environment. Build as big as you can as soon as you can, seal up the top if its a converted aquarium. Stay away from varanus.net, lots of good information but very rude people, a close knit group whom don’t like ignorance or new keepers.

02/29/16  08:19pm

Charles Lee Ray
View Profile

02/29/16  08:19pm

PrimelPythonsOwner
View Profile

Message To: Charles Lee Ray   In reference to Message Id: 2317280

Thanks and OHHH YA he has a attitude for a small guy hissing and tail whipping he is very....talkative lol and i got alot of climbing branches he loves and a big bowl deep enough for him to dive and wide enough to swim, and a bowl of water moss. i think he has many things to chose from and i hope im doing a good job he already eats shrimp,tuna,salmon,crab and chicken heart.

03/02/16  08:36am

Charles Lee Ray
View Profile

Message To: PrimelPythonsOwner   In reference to Message Id: 2317295

I have been using San Francisco Silver Sides, whole fish, but small like four inches long and very filling. If you want, go to Pet Smart they have them for $12 in the refrigerator, you may have to dig around the krill and shrimp to find them. It really gives a lot for the money and my monitor eats them with her fuzzies.

03/02/16  01:07pm

DrzriderEd
View Profile

Message To: PrimelPythonsOwner   In reference to Message Id: 2317218

I used to keep Dumerils years ago. My males got about 4 feet long, and females closer to 3 feet. They love mud, leaf litter, and water. Once they learned that I was not a threat, the males would tolerate me to a point, but the females were sweethearts. It needs to learn to trust you and know that you aren’t some giant creature that will reach in to grab it. Let it come to you on its own. It may take a few months, or a year, or never. Good luck.

This is a female. If I tried this with a male, I would have been be bloody.

03/21/16  06:23pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area