Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Takahiro111   Charles Lee Ray   Takahiro111   Takahiro111   Charles Lee Ray   Takahiro111   Charles Lee Ray   Takahiro111   Mdf   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Takahiro111
View Profile

Croc monitor update

The croc monitor is pulling through done with meds, his cage is done and he’s eating like its no tomorrow gaining weight like crazy but his attitude is still the worse. So I guess I’d give an update about him, it goes from previous owner to me although I can’t get to deep into it because I had to go through legal matters to obtain this lizard from being euthanized so its limited thing I can talk about with this lizard.

From a dog cage to a 18 feet long by 10 feet wide by 12 feet tall cage it basically took me all of January to build and I had to move for more space for his cage.

Weighing at 30lbs. at 7-8 feet’s to weighing 40+lbs at 8 feet

Being fed crap from previous owner to eating a varied croc diet

He was lethargic, had blisters,skin infection, possible RI, abrasions and mouth rot now he’s pulling through and active

From lazy,lethargic with little attitude to badly tempered and energetic and destructive like my water monitor (why can’t they appreciate nice decor????)

01/29/16  07:05pm

Charles Lee Ray
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316816

Croc monitor update

What a lot of sacrifice and time you gave to save the mean green machine. I’d do the same since I feel so lucky to even own the one I got. I wish I could give you a prize for being such a good reptile keeper and caring for an animal that probably doesn’t really like people now. Maybe in time the varanid will come to trust you, as a reward for your dilligence, investment and personal sacrifice.

01/29/16  08:12pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Charles Lee Ray   In reference to Message Id: 2316822

Croc monitor update

I’m hoping he will simmer down but I highly doubt it, he does let me clean his cage and rub his back but that’s about it he doesn’t tolerate handling,face touching,little kids/animals, loud noise. I spent over $1000 at the vet to get him better even my money for college I could’ve sued him further but I don’t care as long as I got the monitor away from him and being euthanized. His diet is similar to my water monitor and he enjoys it but were still getting use to each other although he puffs up and stuff he never bit me just tail whipped and scratch but I’m still taking caution. Btw how’s your monitor doing?

01/29/16  08:25pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Charles Lee Ray   In reference to Message Id: 2316822

Croc monitor update

Also thanks for the kind reply I just hate when some people get a reptile then when they get too big or can’t provide for them they neglect them. Its really crazy because 90% of my animals are rescues, they either got to big or expensive to keep.

01/29/16  08:28pm

Charles Lee Ray
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316824

Croc monitor update

My monitor is very healthy eating 3 fuzzes a day, yet still hasn’t associated me with food or being fed. I’ve been tracking and graphing the eating and sleeping habits thus far. Just looking at January’s numbers, she has slept a lot. Basically, coming out to eat, bask and retreat again under the dirt. I am building a very large enclosure for her with a metal trough bottom for substrate and digging behavior. I was given the impression Argus monitors don’t climb so good, but when I bring her out to roam and interact with her; she tries to scale everything in my apartment.

01/29/16  09:12pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Charles Lee Ray   In reference to Message Id: 2316827

Croc monitor update

Its good to hear everything is okay all your hard work raising her is gonna pay off when she’s full grown trust me, when some people say a tame/calm monitor is a sick monitor that’s half true. I like to limit roaming with my monitors(except my sav),tegus and sailfin dragon because they have the need to climb on things and destroy it, like my beautiful curtains I bought today my water monitor tried to climb it to look out the window and destroyed it lol.

01/29/16  09:50pm

Charles Lee Ray
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316828

Croc monitor update

It is too bad the croc monitor has such large and long teeth because I like them. I am afraid of them as well, a long time ago a pet shop was trying to open the enclosure to toss a rat in and the damned monitor escaped. I was like fourteen at the time and I ran for the door only to be stopped by the onwer’s wife reassuring me that the croc monitor calms down once out. I was shaking all over, my first panic attack actually, I really have respect for the power of the salvadorii. Please be careful, stitches hurt a lot and sometimes the doctor numbs the wrong side lol. Maybe if you get tired, very understandable, you can sell it to a zoo? Just a thought.

01/29/16  10:48pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Charles Lee Ray   In reference to Message Id: 2316829

Croc monitor update

I would be afraid to to be honest because their large and do pack a lot . I’ll be careful I use to do a lot of research on different monitors before I started keeping them so I have gloves and other equipment in the closet in my reptile room just in case somebody has a bad day I’m not shorthanded. I also doubt a zoo would take any of my reptiles in because most people looking to rid of reptiles go to the zoo but in reality most get turned down because they have enough animals as it is although I plan on keeping everyone but thanks for everything :)

01/29/16  11:25pm

Mdf
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316832

Croc monitor update

Glad to here it’s going well :)

01/30/16  12:01pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Mdf   In reference to Message Id: 2316842

Croc monitor update

Thanks. Mdf I want to build outdoor cages for my reptiles for the summer so they stay out all day and come in at night, what materials I use?

01/30/16  12:15pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area