Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Spira   Charles Lee Ray   Spira   Charles Lee Ray   Spira   Yaksha   Charles Lee Ray   Yaksha   Charles Lee Ray   Yaksha   Spira   Charles Lee Ray   Dajuice   Charles Lee Ray  

Member  Message

Spira
View Profile

Black roughthroat baby interaction

I just got a young black roughthroat the other day, little under a foot long and unsure of age, and I’m a bit confused on how to interact with him or get him used to me. His breeders told me he’s perfectly tame and the sweetest thing ever, and proved it at the reptile expo that I acquired him at. He was the sweetest thing, happy to be held and loved pets. Now that I got him home, he’s completely different! He hisses every time my hand comes near, and refuses to be handled. He is very sweet from inside the cage, coming right over to me and gladly accepting food, but the moment my hand comes otherwise close he panics. He doesn’t bite, doesn’t whip his tail, just hisses and flees.
What approach should I be taking with him? Should I leave him be for a while and then try handling him again, should I be actively trying to get him more used to me? It has to be the new environment, but he seems perfectly comfortable every time there isn’t a hand in the tank.

01/12/16  09:53pm

Charles Lee Ray
View Profile

Message To: Spira   In reference to Message Id: 2316538

The monitor is gonna take work and time to get properly housed, fed, and acclimated. The lizard will provide the boundaries, such as, if it burrows, never dig him her up and if it hisses as you approach back off. Since you just got it, leave it be for now and limit the interaction to changing water, feeding, etc. If you don’t have 8"+ of sand/soil mix, renovate the habitat and provide enough substrate to fully burrow in. You can use dirt from outside, but it is safer to just get pesticide free, organic soil from home depot and mix it with play sand. My monitor has a burrow to which she uses to escape me, my cats, and noises. Burrows provide moisture, humidity in the terrarium, and security. If you have a screen top, as I once did, buy to Plexiglas, polyprothelyne board (found next to Plexiglas at home depot) trace the outline of the dome and cut out the circle. This way, you may use duct tape to fasten it all down and lock in heat and humidity. Also, once sealed the heat will stay in if the power goes out. All I’m telling you, is it takes dedication and time to win varanids over and sometimes (being wild animals) the relationship doesn’t get easier. Black throats are big monitors, look up big boy on you tube, you need to work it out now or you have a beast to face later.

01/12/16  11:06pm

Spira
View Profile

Message To: Charles Lee Ray   In reference to Message Id: 2316539

That’s what I was thinking, and was just making sure it wasn’t some crazy problem that could’ve spurt up during moving him. I do have his tank set up to hold in heat and humidity, and he has a lot of burrowing room as well as other hiding spots situated around his tank. I noticed he really likes to sit in his water bowl, too. And I made sure to get a tank with a solid top.
Thank you for your help! I’ll definitely keep what you said in mind.

01/12/16  11:50pm

Charles Lee Ray
View Profile

Message To: Spira   In reference to Message Id: 2316540

Is it a black rough neck monitor or black throat? Ones Asian and the other is a very large African specie. I am not particularly knowledgeable about a roughneck monitor but I’m sure deep substrate will help rather than a ceramic cave or house. I believe they like to be in trees, so vertical space is important too. Do post a picture of the set up, if you want. I use photo bucket and post a link in the link maker.

01/13/16  12:51am

Spira
View Profile

Message To: Charles Lee Ray   In reference to Message Id: 2316541

I don’t have the means to get a picture of the setup at the moment but the little cave thing is more of a wooden log. He’s a black rough throat, one of the smaller species.

01/13/16  01:32am

Yaksha
View Profile

Message To: Spira   In reference to Message Id: 2316542

handling should be kept to a minimum, you said he spends most of his time in his water dish, this indicates that the humidity is way to low. Roughnecks love moisture, they also loved to climb. I had a one for over 10 years and she almost never set foot on the ground unless to lay eggs or to get over to water dish she spent all of her time vertical. tall space is key as well as deep substrate to keep moisture/ lots of climbs are a must. The environment needed to successfully house them, can not be duplicated in a tank get started on building a proper enclosure. Mine was 6ftX3ftX6ft (LxWxH) (not including the 2ft of substrate in the bottom) and it could have used more space. Don’t expect a lot of interaction from your Rudi, i was unable to touch mine for the last 8years of her life..except for a few medical occasions.

01/15/16  06:36pm

Charles Lee Ray
View Profile

Message To: Yaksha   In reference to Message Id: 2316560

Man that’s dedication! Eight years hands off, I stopped touching my argus thinking it was best and she has become very defensive when I approach. I have limited my interaction to every other day because I notice how she sleeps for a day or so when I bring her out too long and often. She is other wise active and tripods over any new sound or voice in my room. Been bit three times the last trust building session, once for trying to reach in and grab her in between my bed and the wall. I got to find a happy medium so that handling her isn’t an ordeal like it has become. When I use to feed her in a separate container, first few weeks after I bought her, she allowed me to reach in and grab her. Now she darts away from me like a wild specimen.

01/15/16  08:37pm

Yaksha
View Profile

Message To: Charles Lee Ray   In reference to Message Id: 2316564

She was still a joy to watch in her enclosure, and feeding time was always an excitement. I don’t call it dedication. I chose a pet that is not hands friendly and i never force handled her. Monitors are always docile and pliable when young because they are terrified, they think you are going to eat them so their natural defense mechanism is to basically play dead.or they are in shock from the trauma of a move or too cold or dry for improper habitat conditions. Once they realize you are not a threat to them then there true attitude come out.

01/16/16  10:56am

Charles Lee Ray
View Profile

Message To: Yaksha   In reference to Message Id: 2316575

Mine is fickled, sometimes she allows me to approach to pick her up while other times she postures, tail wips, and lunges at me with her mouth open.

01/16/16  12:51pm

Yaksha
View Profile

Message To: Charles Lee Ray   In reference to Message Id: 2316578

yup, thats a monitor for ya

01/16/16  02:09pm

Spira
View Profile

Message To: Yaksha   In reference to Message Id: 2316560

Thank you for the input, and I’m definitely looking into getting a real enclosure set up for him. He doesn’t spend nearly as much time in his water now, if any at all- I’m guessing it was because the humidity hadnt risen to the point it needed to be. He eats and drinks fine, and enjoys coming up to my hand when its available. I’m moving on to tong feeding him as he no longer freaks out at me on sight. His previous owners said that he loved being held, and from what I saw he had enjoyed it too- it didn’t look like he was frozen in fear judging by his body language. He was really calm. Regardless, I know better than to try handling him if he refuses to be.
His temporary tank is high enough to let him climb, and I’ve put tall branches and hiding spots all over, which he loves.

01/23/16  01:31pm

Charles Lee Ray
View Profile

Message To: Spira   In reference to Message Id: 2316689

I’ve made so many adjustments tailored to my monitor’s needs, it can be kind of overwhelming at the beginning. I just read many books, mostly outdated by a couple of years, I lurked and read what others have done. There is a whole bunch of helpful information out there on rough necked monitors, just compare and contrast to sift out the butt sniff. Too much garbage information is on the world wide web, but consistency is key, although doing it consistently wrong is a potential pitfall. Be ware of other varnid sites, they will make you feel stupid and do not help in the least. Varanus.net has good information, but the people are a small tight knit group and aren’t too welcoming to ignorance. Even if your new they will ridicule you, lynch you for your choices. Just read, lurk and move on. Don’t post pictures of you set up on varanus.net or anywhere if your current enclosure is a converted aquarium. They won’t care if it is temporary while its a juvenile, they will rape you. All just a fair warning, you should do fine and enjoy the little guy.

01/23/16  08:52pm

Dajuice
View Profile

Message To: Charles Lee Ray   In reference to Message Id: 2316698

Create a situation where the monitor will feel free to approach you on it’s own using it’s food. Don’t just dump a bunch a crickets or roaches in at once put them in a bag when feeding and drop one from the bag at a time. This will get your monitor to eventually follow the bag and forget how close your hand is to it. Do this daily without reaching in to touch the monitor. You’ll find that he’ll eventually start approaching you. When feeding pinkies or other rodents use tongs and lead the monitor to step on your free hand and eventually up your wrist and forearm a little by dingling the rodent in its face gently. Bottom line is you have to get it to see you as an asset not a threat. By forcing yourself upon it that is actually doing the opposite. They love food, use it to your advantage.

03/06/16  08:33am

Charles Lee Ray
View Profile

Message To: Dajuice   In reference to Message Id: 2317338

Wish this worked with mine, it just goes berserk when I attempt to tong feed. I allow my monitor to roam my room and it actually comes to me, smells my feet or hands and them runs off over and over.

03/06/16  08:43pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area