Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Eric_r   Takahiro111   Charles Lee Ray   Takahiro111   Charles Lee Ray   Eric_r   Takahiro111   Charles Lee Ray   Takahiro111   Charles Lee Ray   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Eric_r
View Profile

Baby argus will only eat when i’m not their

i have an 11 inch argus monitor that will only eat when i’m not their anyone have any tips?

01/11/16  09:18am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Eric_r   In reference to Message Id: 2316505

If you wanna see him eat hide somewhere where only you can see him or try using tongs....he’s just shy. Did you just get him?

01/11/16  01:31pm

Charles Lee Ray
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316507

I’ve been bitten several times tong feeding, do it at your discretion. I think my Argus sees the tongs as a predator or just does not like them as a unique individual. As long as its eating, I’d rather concentrate on its environment (as in temp ranges, soil depth, and humidity).

01/11/16  03:37pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Charles Lee Ray   In reference to Message Id: 2316509

Your right as long as its eating everything’s fine but you really been bitten while tong feeding...I did it occasionally when they were young to kinda play with them but I only use tongs now if I’m giving them whole prey items like rabbits,rats,birds but other than that they eat a varied meat diet from a plate/bowl. But I always used the snake tongs I use to feed my big snakes. Few other of my reptiles attack the tongs before realizing its not food. But Charles Lee Ray how are argus as pets? I currently have 1 cage left that was made for me on Christmas and I’m thinking what I can put in it.

01/11/16  04:45pm

Charles Lee Ray
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316511

Today is a bad day to ask..I love my monitor but today was the first day he/she reached back and bit my finger while I was holding her. The are very hiss n piss, mine usually poops on me as I am taking her out. She also super man jumps at me, rarely biting, if I move too fast or hover over her. People say niles are mean, aggressive, etc., but Argus (V.p.horni) are probably just as mean. Mine is still a juvenile and my first varanid, so I will see. For such a little lizard, he/she gets in my head and makes me think twice before reaching for her. I’m bullied by my female cats and now my monitor, but I’m really enjoying her/him a lot.

01/11/16  05:48pm

Eric_r
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316507

Yes recently

01/11/16  06:55pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Eric_r   In reference to Message Id: 2316513

Eric_r then the monitor just isn’t settled yet, babies/juvenile can take longer to settle but just give him some time and let him get use to you, his enclosure, and his surrounding (your home). He’s just a little scared/shy because your bigger and he thinks your gonna eat him but overtime bond with him to build trust and he’ll be a rewarding monitor as he grow.

Charles Lee Ray thanks for the wonderful info! I guess I’ll pass on the argus and go for a camain lizard. No more monitors for me lol I had this aggressive, nasty adult croc monitor I rescued from being euthanized and he’s the main reason why monitors can be difficult at times...he’s on a whole different level from my Savannah and Asian water.

01/11/16  10:26pm

Charles Lee Ray
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316524

Croc monitors teeth alone keep me away from them, you are brave. Bid you see Dave Durham’s bite from his full grown blue tail monitor (V.doreanus)? If you haven’t search YouTube for blue the monitor or blue’s bite Dave. The head on the blue tail is much larger than an Argus’ head and you can see its teeth from a distance.Blue’s bite

01/12/16  07:01pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Charles Lee Ray   In reference to Message Id: 2316531

Yeah I’ve seen that vid, I was like ouch. The crocs teeth and claws is no joke lol I try my best to avoid a bite from him and stay away from his face but I’m happy he’s done taking his oral and injection meds..worse weeks of reptile keeping ever but this is all the previous owners fault for neglecting him so I felt bad and fought my hardest to get him. Although its too bad I can’t let others near him, alot of people love him when I do education shows. I’ve read that they max out at 10 feet

01/12/16  07:15pm

Charles Lee Ray
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316532

I read 14’ but what do I know, never owned one. Do you like Frank Retes? Just wondering, not trying to start problems being that so many are followers of his methods. Wish Dr. Eric Pianka had a forum, liked him on the Nova special "Lizard Kings". Also, how did you find your way around problems, like health issues, with these giant lizards when there is very few good reference books out there? Most of my library is out dated, I still own "Giant Lizards" by Sprackland; it is what ignited my fascination.

01/12/16  07:44pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Charles Lee Ray   In reference to Message Id: 2316535

I really don’t know much about frank but his methods are great I just follow my own lol...about their health issues I usually monitor all my varanids and other reptiles closely so I know when something is wrong, I’m going to college so I can become a reptile veterinarian so I have a pretty good idea around medical issues and my vet gives me lessons so I know how to do simple check ups to see if a vet is necessary but none of my reptiles had serious problems with their health because I catch things before they get bad enough to hurt them

01/13/16  10:00am

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area