Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Eric_r   Charles Lee Ray   3240   Mdf   Charles Lee Ray   3240   Charles Lee Ray   3240   Charles Lee Ray   3240   Mdf  

Member  Message

Eric_r
View Profile

New baby argus monitor isn’t eating.

Hey i got a question i just got a baby argus monitor and it isn’t eating it’s been about 5 days and i’m getting worried temp and humidity is right basking spot from 125-140 and cool side of mid 70’s and his cage measurements is 4by3by3 and i offered it fish chicken gizzards,dubias,crickets and a chopped up pinky anyone have any advice?

01/05/16  09:03am

Charles Lee Ray
View Profile

Message To: Eric_r   In reference to Message Id: 2316408

Do you have the top covered with the exception of the area for a heat lamp? If it is a screen tops buy a sheet of cardboard or a twin wall plastic sheet from home depot ($8) and cut out a circle for the dome (I used duct tape to mount it over the screen top). Once the top is completely cover heat and humidity will gradually rise. If you don’t already, place a mixture of 60% playsand and 40% organic pesticide free potting soil; I have 8". I have a baby argus too and she loves to dig; giving them burrows also helps them feel secure. Once security is established, the humidity rises and the heat is just right he should want to eat. ITwin wall sheet

01/05/16  12:07pm

View Profile

Message To: Charles Lee Ray   In reference to Message Id: 2316410

Use top soil, not potting soil.

Post pictures of your enclosure when you get a chance.

01/05/16  12:38pm

Mdf
View Profile

Message To: Charles Lee Ray   In reference to Message Id: 2316410

Personally i’d use plyboard, less chance of melting or ending up on fire.

It’s will be trying to settle in and mid 70’s is the bottom of the cage substrate temp, air temp above the substrate I would keep at 80f as long as I had the cage sealed and humidity was correct.

The lamp should be inside the cage and the cage should be sealed, holes for stats and opening the door daily will allow enough air changes, keepers don’t get in you seal the top and put a great lamp in the centre, it’s like a chimney on top, sucks all the air out faster and replaces it with drier external air.

other than that I would say it’s settling period, you probably held it as you put it in the cage, most keepers do, looking for ill health problems, but you’ve just swooped down and grabbed it like a big bird of prey, why would it want to come out!!

make sure it’s sealed and let it settle, leave food in the viv and give it time, once it’s feeding in front of you go on to trust building exercises, some are bold some are very shy, you might have a female which are mostly shy!

good luck.

01/05/16  12:39pm

Charles Lee Ray
View Profile

Message To: Mdf   In reference to Message Id: 2316413

Use what you will for the top, the polprothylene is fine and will not melt as long as you bulb isn’t touching. Putting a dome light inside the terarium with your given dimensions is tough, just let it rest on top of the screen and raise a basking perch to where is sits "5 or under the lamp. even covering the front of the terarrium with poster board or ugly newspaper and then leaving food inside so it may eat without being seen could help as well. I had to do this myself when one of my cats would not stop stalking the monitor. Good Luck

01/05/16  03:13pm

View Profile

Message To: Charles Lee Ray   In reference to Message Id: 2316419

Three feet gives you plenty of space to put a light inside the enclosure. It’s much preferable over a dome.

01/05/16  06:58pm

Charles Lee Ray
View Profile

Message To: 3240   In reference to Message Id: 2316422

Nope, why make is complicated, your way is fine but it is difficult to mount a dome light inside a 4x3x3 or whatever her said. Covering the entire top except a small portion for the light will work, it has for me and friends. Hopefully, this guy builds a large enclosure soon.

01/05/16  07:54pm

View Profile

Message To: Charles Lee Ray   In reference to Message Id: 2316426

I’m not saying to put the dome in the enclosure. Until pictures are posted its difficult to give any advice.

01/05/16  09:18pm

Charles Lee Ray
View Profile

Message To: 3240   In reference to Message Id: 2316427

Hopefully he just goes away and never shows you his setup, I predict you’ll do nothing more than attack him. You need a life other than monitoring these threads and insulting others. Internet bullies are so pathetic and abundant.

01/05/16  09:41pm

View Profile

Message To: Charles Lee Ray   In reference to Message Id: 2316431

Stop being greedy Charles.

01/05/16  09:57pm

Mdf
View Profile

Message To: Mdf   In reference to Message Id: 2316413

domes can be used in small viv with low wattage bulbs >

Or a big viv, these are all in the same viv>