Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Kales   Takahiro111   3240   Kales   Kales   Taylorgilbert  

Member  Message

Kales
View Profile

New Savannah Monitor

So I just acquired my first Savannah monitor from a shop who was clearly not caring for it right. I have other reptiles and couldn’t leave it in a place like that. I did some research and talked to my herp shop and got some info but I’m afraid I’m not going to care for it correctly due to lack of knowledge. I’m not sure the sex yet but am going with the assumption it’s a male. currently he has a uvb light, a black nighttime heat light and a day heat light as well as an under tank heater. Keeping it at 110 on the hot side and 85 on the cooler side. He has a hide and I will be adding some branches for him in the next few days as he is a juvenile. He’s about 12inches total length currently and in a 20gal quarantine terrarium until I get him checked out. I dropped him in 10 crickets and 5 superworms. They said they haven’t fed him moce before but I have a fuzzy I’m going to try once he gets used to his new surroundings. He has two water dishes large enough for him to soak. I have made plans to purchase a larger terrarium in about a week. What am I doing right and what do I need to improve on?

Thanks in advance
K

11/27/15  03:24pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Kales   In reference to Message Id: 2315908

New Savannah Monitor

Don’t get branches instead some large rocks or a tile under the basking spot. He really don’t need two water bowls and vary the diet more. And why get the animal if your not gonna care for it any better than the petshop you got him from?? How large is the cage he’s gonna be housed in?

11/27/15  06:34pm

View Profile

Message To: Kales   In reference to Message Id: 2315908

New Savannah Monitor

Hi Kales,

Invest in an IR temp gun. I’m assuming the temps you’ve mentioned are ambient temps and not basking temps? You want a 130F basking spot, give or take. You shouldn’t need an under tank heater. A 20 gallon tank is very small and you should only need a 25 watt bulb. Add lots of substrate to the tank and cover the top. Monitors like a nice tight hide spot.

11/27/15  10:16pm

Kales
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2315909

New Savannah Monitor

The one I am looking at is 4ftlx2.75ftwx2fth. What would you recommend? I have ordered roaches that will be available for pick up Sunday. There was a limited selection at the store I was at so that’s just what was added today. He has two hides, one of which is stone for basking. So I should add more stones? Perhaps a pile? I was thinking about trying some chicks and frogs as well. I am aware his current conditions aren’t ideal but I wanted to get him checked out by a vet and make sure he has a clean bill of health before I get him fully situated. If he isn’t as healthy as he appears, the owner of my herp shop has said she would take him in and get him better before I bring him home. I am trying to give him a better life, but this is something I am new to so I appreciate all the help I can get!

11/27/15  11:03pm

Kales
View Profile

Message To: Kales   In reference to Message Id: 2315920

New Savannah Monitor

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely look into the ir gun. Yes those were ambient temps. I have four digital therms in there currently, one resting on each hide and the others on the glass. The temp on his basking hide was matching the ambient temp when I initially posted this as I didn’t let it heat up as long as I wanted before I added him since he had been kept with no heat for god knows how long. Before I left for work, it had raised to 120 and was still climbing. As I mentioned, the 20 gal is extremely temporary as I look for a permanent habitat for him after I get him seen by a vet. I’ll remove the under tank heater. i currently have about 4 inches of dehydrated coconut substrate in there. What would you recommend would be the best option? Also about how many inches?

11/27/15  11:28pm

Taylorgilbert
View Profile

Message To: Kales   In reference to Message Id: 2315921

New Savannah Monitor

best substrate is plain ol dirt so long as itll hold a burrow! also you can feel free to feed him as many mice as possible so long its hot enough wont matter

11/28/15  04:47pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area