Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Raptorman   3240   Raptorman   Raptorman   3240   Raptorman   Taylorgilbert   Raptorman   3240   Raptorman   Raptorman   Taylorgilbert   3240   Taylorgilbert   Mdf   3240   Taylorgilbert   Raptorman   Raptorman   Yaksha   Taylorgilbert   Raptorman   Raptorman   Charles Lee Ray   Raptorman  

Member  Message

Raptorman
View Profile

Man grove monitors

Does anyone on here own a mangrove monitor that’s not a baby?I have had mine for about to mouths i hardly ever see it he is in its borrow all the time.I know they are very she but I’m getting worried about five days ago he had three little furry mice and about four roaches.He has not eat nothing since I’m hoping it was just a big meal for him and that’s why.He has been eating good since i got him this is the longest hes went with out eating.Should i get him out some times or just leave him alone not for sure what to do.Any input would be great Thanks

11/19/15  08:17am

View Profile

Message To: Raptorman   In reference to Message Id: 2315775

Man grove monitors

That’s a tough one. After five days I’d dig him out and see if you can get him to eat. I’m sure he’s doing just fine though so don’t worry. One of my young lace monitors does the same thing. She disappears for weeks sometimes. After a while, I do pull her out of her burrow.

Mangrove monitors are tough captives. They do not like to be seen, even as adults. Adult mangrove monitor also have a nasty bite. They’re nice to look at but they’re not fun in captivity.

11/19/15  04:24pm

Raptorman
View Profile

Message To: 3240   In reference to Message Id: 2315780

Man grove monitors

He finally came out and was running around today.He looks good i think that it was just a big meal for him.He wont eat at all in front of me.He as bit me swiz but it was just like I’m annoyed leave me alone. hope i can get him tame he as never bit out of anger.I dont know if i should start handling him to get him tame or leave him a lone and give him time to come around.What are your thoughts on taming him.Im not for sure how to go about it thanks.

11/19/15  05:00pm

Raptorman
View Profile

Message To: Raptorman   In reference to Message Id: 2315781

Man grove monitors

I have read that’s with lots of work they will eventually come around and let you hold them and come out when your in the room with them.But you cant believe everything that you read on the web.I just want to make sure i go about it in the write way and not make him be scared of me forever.Ive read that monitors have a good memoriy.

11/19/15  05:13pm

View Profile

Message To: Raptorman   In reference to Message Id: 2315782

Man grove monitors

I’d never use "tame" to describe a monitor because they can be so unpredictable. However, they do usually become comfortable around their keeper. Give him some time and space. Eventually he’ll be comfortable when you’re in the room. Don’t force anything, just let it happen. Mangrove’s can take longer than most.

11/19/15  06:20pm

Raptorman
View Profile

Message To: 3240   In reference to Message Id: 2315783

Man grove monitors

Thanks really appreciate it.

11/19/15  07:11pm

Taylorgilbert
View Profile

Message To: Raptorman   In reference to Message Id: 2315784

Man grove monitors

i hadnt seen my mangroves in almost two months, just saw mice disappearing, burrows appearing, logs being moved etc , eventually i did dig up one but now iv learned to let them be an they seem to be starting to settle down cause iv seen one of them 3 times in the last week an it appears to have grown substantially. i really believe running lights 24/7 at high temps 145+ is extra beneficial to these shy species so they have more opportunities to bask on their schedule and can get warm fast in case you do disturb them.

11/20/15  12:19pm

Raptorman
View Profile

Message To: Taylorgilbert   In reference to Message Id: 2315801

Man grove monitors

i never though of that sounds like something to consider.mine is starting to trust me more because he has stayed out a couple times when i was in the room but he would not move just sit there and watch my ever move.he wont eat at all in front of me and man hes growing fast.i see people in the web that have very calm mangroves hope i can get mine that way.i also just put a blanket over the front off his enclosure to see if he will come of borrow more.have you worked with mangroves before?or is this your first timer first.

11/20/15  01:40pm

View Profile

Message To: Raptorman   In reference to Message Id: 2315805

Man grove monitors

24 hour lighting does work. That way he can come out and bask on his terms.

Years ago I had Australian frilled dragons that were easily stressed. The front of their enclosures was plexiglass and they did better when it was covered. Instead of covering the plexiglass I used window tint. I could see in but they couldn’t see out. It worked well.

11/20/15  02:04pm

Raptorman
View Profile

Message To: 3240   In reference to Message Id: 2315806

Man grove monitors

great info i will try the lighting.also that’s a also me idea about the window tent thanks alot.

11/20/15  05:11pm

Raptorman
View Profile

Message To: Raptorman   In reference to Message Id: 2315810

Man grove monitors

"awsome"

11/20/15  05:15pm

Taylorgilbert
View Profile

Message To: Raptorman   In reference to Message Id: 2315811

Man grove monitors

yes mangroves were my first monitors (i also now have yellow ackies ) but id been SERIOUSLY researching monitors for nearly seven years never could pull the trigger being i was aware of housing requirements and food / electric bill but as soon as i was in a position of financial stability i jumped at the chance. during those years of wanting and wishing i read EVERYTHING seasoned monitor keepers had to say about EVERY species and then compared and contrasted not only what worked and what didnt but also what merely worked vs what worked well for years.

the notion of a tame mangrove monitor is probably a fallacy under optimal conditions especially starting out with a wc. If youve ever hear of dog tame indicus complex monitors they were probably very cold and underfed. improper basking temperatures and insufficient amounts of tight crampt hiding spots will also lead to the false impression of a Bold mangrove monitor as theyve got to spend soo much time basking and dont feel particularly safe in the hiding spot provided

not to hijack this thread but iv been SERIOUSLY considering using "monitor" husbandry on frillies (along with beardies and uromastyx) ie deep substrate, high surface temps and a constant supply of food to include more rodents then people typically given frillies. how were youre experiences keeping aussie frilleds?

11/21/15  12:59am

View Profile

Message To: Taylorgilbert   In reference to Message Id: 2315815

Man grove monitors

I use monitor husbandry for frillies, bearded dragons, and uros. Works well.

11/21/15  06:47am

Taylorgilbert
View Profile

Message To: 3240   In reference to Message Id: 2315818

Man grove monitors

by well do you mean, it has worked better then the way people typically keep all three of them ie what you find if you search frillie/uro/beardie care sheet. i only ask cause its hard to take a species like bearded dragons thats been bred by the thousands an say theres a better way to raise them, on the other it makes absolute sense that lizards would benefit from higher basking temps frillies seem to almost occupy the same niche as the larger odatria within the same range and Uros come from the hottest part of the world i found it almost funny people suggest giving them 110 degree temps and substrate that specifically WONT hold a burrow

11/21/15  10:01am

Mdf
View Profile

Message To: Taylorgilbert   In reference to Message Id: 2315822

Man grove monitors

this is what I miss, picking through information and learning :)

11/21/15  10:06am

View Profile

Message To: Taylorgilbert   In reference to Message Id: 2315822

Man grove monitors

It worked great for me. Beaded dragons used to hatch in the cage. I never had to dig up the eggs. Bottom line, it’s just more fun to watch them do some of the things that they’re supposed to do.

11/21/15  07:58pm

Taylorgilbert
View Profile

Message To: 3240   In reference to Message Id: 2315834

Man grove monitors

That’s awesome ! I know from prior posts your enclosures are rather large how deep are you keeping your beardies n uros?

11/23/15  09:51am

Raptorman
View Profile

Message To: Taylorgilbert   In reference to Message Id: 2315853

Man grove monitors

I started leaving the lights on24/7 and my mangrove has been staying out for like seven to eight hours a day.When i clean the cage he just sits there and watches me .Iv had him for about two mouths now i think i am making good progress with him.I have a question is it good to have kind of like a bird box for a hide. in the top of the enclosure with soil in it .he only has one borrow on the ground and i wanted to give him more places to hide? didn’t know if they like that or not.

11/23/15  11:59am

Raptorman
View Profile

Message To: Raptorman   In reference to Message Id: 2315855

Man grove monitors

also he is very distributive always trying to find a way out.hes jumping around slinging dirt every where.its pretty cool to watch them when they didnt know you are there.is it good for them to put leaves on top of the soil to help with humidity and for a More natural environment?

11/23/15  12:09pm

Yaksha
View Profile

Message To: Raptorman   In reference to Message Id: 2315856

Man grove monitors

The bird box is a really good idea, the more hides the better, and yah there is nothing wrong with adding leaves, they will dig around in them as well. I am glad your seeing more of him and yah they are destructive little guys who will tear apart everything. but they are a joy to watch. you will be surprised some of the damage they can do to their enclosures

11/23/15  12:15pm

Taylorgilbert
View Profile

Message To: Raptorman   In reference to Message Id: 2315856

Man grove monitors

Cork tubes work better then hide boxes monitors are thigmotrophic meaning they prefer TIGHT hide spots where they are in inaccessible to predators with no airflow. Your need for leaf litter depends on the depth of your substrate if it’s deep enough you may not need it to maintain humidity though it could be very stimulating for your monitor to forage through an explore.

11/23/15  12:22pm

Raptorman
View Profile

Message To: Taylorgilbert   In reference to Message Id: 2315859

Man grove monitors

I have been working with my mangrove and he does pretty good when hes in the tub .i let him down on the floor and he freeked out and he got so nerves that he spit up a peace of fish.is this normal behaver ? or do u guy think something is wrong with him.im really worried about him .

01/04/16  06:55pm

Raptorman
View Profile

Message To: Raptorman   In reference to Message Id: 2315775

Man grove monitors

i have been working with my mangrove in the tub hes been doing great i put him on the floor and he freaks out my guestion is he got so nervous he spit up a piece of fish is this normal or is something wrong?

01/04/16  07:30pm

Charles Lee Ray
View Profile

Message To: Raptorman   In reference to Message Id: 2316394

Man grove monitors

I’ve been so nervous before that I vomited. Maybe your particular monitor is afraid of you and the environment outside his enclosure. Every individual monitor must be unique, like dogs, horses, and people. I probably would stop putting him in the tub and provide a large water source for him to submerge in within the enclosure. Some new keepers, ignorantly (ignorance is okay) believe bathing varanids is good for them. With a nervous monitor I’d give him space and time to relax then again try to manipulate him, hold him and take loads of pictures to show family. I’ve made mistakes, asked questions, argued and in the end made the changes necessary to help provide a good life for the lizard. Don’t lose hope, its still a wild animal and will adapt eventually. If it was a wild caught specimen, give it more time to acclimate, but monitors take repetition and lots of time.

01/05/16  09:34pm

Raptorman
View Profile

Message To: Charles Lee Ray   In reference to Message Id: 2316429

Man grove monitors

she has a big swimming tub i think i was just trying to push her to fast I’m going to just leave her alone thanks for the advice and give her time

01/07/16  11:35am

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area