Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Otto Glott   Yaksha   Takahiro111   Otto Glott   Otto Glott  

Member  Message

Otto Glott
View Profile

Suggested Eating Patterns and Actual Eating Routines

Does anyone who currently owns a hatchling to three month old monitor notice days where it eats less than the day before? One day mine will eat thirty superworms then the day after she will poop and not want to eat. Everyone here has said to feed everyday but my girl eats when she chooses so far. V.panoptes horni are supposed to be eating machines yet mine eats better every other day so far. I offer food daily but rarely does she take it as others seem to think is appropriate..She is captive bred and basking temperature is 120f

10/26/15  11:08pm

Yaksha
View Profile

Message To: Otto Glott   In reference to Message Id: 2315393

Then switch to feeding her every other day.
I only fed my rudi every three days, (as an adult) however she always had live crickets in her cage to chase around if she got peckish in between.
you will develop your own routine with your monitor, do what works best for you two

10/28/15  05:56am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Otto Glott   In reference to Message Id: 2315393

I agree with yaksha. If the monitor is still eating then that’s good, my water monitor eats every 3-4 days while my sav eats every 3 days. The waters feeding gap is so long is because he eats a lot and to avoid obesity.

10/28/15  09:50am

Otto Glott
View Profile

Message To: Yaksha   In reference to Message Id: 2315416

Thank you :0) I gotta stop listening to all the different opinions on the few boards I go to. She seems fine, I get insecure because I want to keep her for life and not cause her unecessary suffering. I enjoy having her and will share her with everyone here as she grows, also will post pictures of her permanent enclosure once built.

10/28/15  04:00pm

Otto Glott
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2315419

My gut instinct and my dad knowledge of how wild animals behave makes me think she dictates when and how much she feeds. I never believed she’d starve herself, this is my second attempt at keeping varanids and I don’t want to fail again. I check basking temps daily and control humidty with a fogger. I can’t wait to ditch the aquarium setup for the larger wooden enclosure. I do have plexiglas covering half the cage so RH stays in the 60% range only dropping on the hottest days. Thank you for the response.

10/28/15  04:04pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area