Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Otto Glott   Takahiro111   3240   Otto Glott   3240   Takahiro111   Otto Glott   3240   3240   Otto Glott  

Member  Message

Otto Glott
View Profile

Not as hungry?

My argus hatchling eats between 10 to 20 items (canned grasshoppers, crickets, and superworms).Today she only wanted 4 items, but still has the argus attitude not lethargic or anything. Could this just be she/he isn’t as hungry or maybe ready to shed soon? Basking spots are 120f-126f hot side is 90f & 79f cool side. All food is powdered with calcium and minerals.

10/19/15  05:40pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Otto Glott   In reference to Message Id: 2315297

Not as hungry?

Only give the supplements 1-2x weekly. Also give live prey the canned ones lack the good proteins and flavors your lizard friend loves not to mention it’ll give them exercise as well as the hunting fun they love. Monitors may eat less when their gonna shed but every individual is different. My adult water monitor won’t eat during shedding but my sav will.

10/20/15  05:29pm

View Profile

Message To: Otto Glott   In reference to Message Id: 2315297

Not as hungry?

Lizards are constantly shedding. They don’t shed like a snake. Don’t feed your argus from a can, get him some live prey items and feed him until he stops eating. Some days they’ll eat more than others.

10/20/15  10:26pm

Otto Glott
View Profile

Message To: 3240   In reference to Message Id: 2315305

Not as hungry?

Today she ate 9 crickets and 5 superworms with extreme aggression! LOL The Flukers canned grasshoppers were nasty and today had maggots crawling around inside. She only ate 4 out of the can the day I bought them, I was trying to break the monotony from feeding only crickets or worms, I think I’ll buy some roaches for a change. I’d post pictures of her/him but can’t figure out how to on this site.

10/21/15  12:34am

View Profile

Message To: Otto Glott   In reference to Message Id: 2315309

Not as hungry?

Don’t worry too much about a varied diet. My large monitors get rodents, quail, and chicks. That’s it. Start feeding crickets, roaches, and cut up mice or pinkies. Nothing premade or out of a can. Argus are eating machines. Feed him until he stops eating. Before you know it he’ll be able to eat small mice. Once that happens you can stop with the supplements.

I raise my hatchling lace monitors on crickets and chopped up mice. I rarely supplement and they grow like crazy.

10/21/15  06:49pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: 3240   In reference to Message Id: 2315321

Not as hungry?

So I don’t need to give my water monitor and sav. monitor supplements like the other lizards? Despite their size they still eat their insects and other meat and whole prey items like rodents and birds but its amazing you have lace monitors I’ve always thought are they different from your average monitor in captivity.

10/21/15  07:07pm

Otto Glott
View Profile

Message To: 3240   In reference to Message Id: 2315321

Not as hungry?

Based on many articles supplementing calcium powder and vitamins is mandatory to curb any health problems during development. I’ve never owned an adult varanid, so I suppose they get their needs from the whole foods they are fed?

10/22/15  04:16pm

View Profile

Message To: Otto Glott   In reference to Message Id: 2315333

Not as hungry?

Don’t believe 99.9% of the articles that you find on the internet. Use calcium a couple of times per week if he’s only eating insects. If you want to add vitamin powder, go for it. But, it’s not necessary.

The adult varanids that I’ve owned, and still own, all started off as hatchlings. All were started on insects and cut up mice. I used calcium powder a couple of times per week. Once your argus can eat small mice you can bail on supplements. I’ve been doing this for 25 years now and fell pretty good about giving advice.

An argus is an awesome monitor that will require high temps and a huge enclosure. They’re bottomless pits. Get ready!

10/22/15  09:48pm

View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2315322

Not as hungry?

Takahiro,

As long as your sav and water monitor is being fed whole prey items you don’t have to worry about supplements. A rodent or quail, bones and all, is all the calcium that they need. Whole prey items and proper temps are key.

Lace monitors are a lot of fun. I’ve worked with just about every large and dwarf species that you can imagine. Lacies are my favorite. They’re really no different than any other species of monitor. They’re extremely active and intelligent and require a large space. They’re a lot of fun. I’ll post some pics later on. I have both bells phase and normals. Nine eggs in the incubator right now.

10/22/15  09:58pm

Otto Glott
View Profile

Message To: 3240   In reference to Message Id: 2315337

Not as hungry?

Good! Once less expense not having to deal with powders for the life of my Fiona (name is if its a female). I’ll start offering cut up mice tomorrow, do they need to be fresh or is frozen thawed out okay?

10/22/15  10:18pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area