Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Otto Glott   Yaksha   Otto Glott  

Member  Message

Otto Glott
View Profile

Hatchling Behavior

I understand that hatchling varanids are skittish and shy, but as adults do most monitors become more up front and present. My argus "Fiona" (hope its a girl) has a couple of burrows that she retreats to if I’m approaching too quickly. I’m hoping she will become more confident and stay out of her burrow more often the older she gets. In general, do varanids stay secretive like they are in the wild, as stated by Pianka on the Nova special "Lizard Kings"? My V.panoptes horni was captive bred by East Bay Vivarium, in Berkley, CA. I purchased her for $220 July 20, 2015; she hatched three weeks prior according to the employee I talked to. Krusty’s articles have been helpful, but behavior wise she seems in here burrow more than out. Hot side temp is 98 and cool side 75-84 depending how hot my room gets. Basking spot is 115-125 as Krusty recommends for a hatchling. Humidity is controlled by a fogger but I keep it between 60%-75% and as low as 38% when I’m at work. This is my second monitor attemp, fail as a child, but I am older and ready for the commitment. Yes she is in a 4x2x2 glass enclosure with plexiglas covering the cool side and scrreen on the hot side. I hate this setup, very difficult to get to her for feedings, just a pain and I cannot wait to hire someone to build my wooden cage.

10/13/15  08:22pm

Yaksha
View Profile

Message To: Otto Glott   In reference to Message Id: 2315202

Hatchling Behavior

There is no set rule for monitor behavior, while its true some species tend to be bolder than others, it is not always the case. Each monitor had an individual set of traits. That being said, Argus’s are general bold creatures, yours is still really young, it generally takes about 6month for them to start showing off more, sometimes longer, sometimes not at all.....

10/13/15  10:58pm

Otto Glott
View Profile

Message To: Yaksha   In reference to Message Id: 2315206

Hatchling Behavior

Thank you for your response ;0)....It is really sketchy relying on various books, Krusty’s advice, the advice from the breeders and forum feedback; just wish I had a mentor like Robert George Sprackland or that old man on the Nova special "Lizard Kings". I kinda figured each individual varanid will vary, just being patient while getting through the baby phase is tough. It’s like the opposite of a puppy, small, cute, ferocious and flighty. He/she sometimes looks through me, like she knows I am afraid to reach down and grab her. I waited so long to keep one again, I am determined to do it right and deal with the cards she/he deals me.

10/13/15  11:14pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area