Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Monitors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boxers4life   Boxers4life   Yaksha   Boxers4life   Takahiro111   Boxers4life   Yaksha   Boxers4life   Takahiro111   Otto Glott   Yaksha  

Member  Message

Boxers4life
View Profile

Savannah Monitor help!!!

I went to my local pet store this weekend to get water for my fish tank, I just happened to look at the reptiles and saw a pitiful scene. A baby savannah in a 5 gallon tank with bark chips, a dinky water dish, and no heat lamp AT ALL!! When I asked about it the store owner told me it shook when it was picked up and didn’t want to eat much so they hand fed it. I asked to see it, first it was freezing cold and the poor baby was vibrating its head up and down. I asked how old it was, thinking they had just gotten it in because of its size, about 5 inches in total, I was then told they have had it since January!!!!!!!
I asked how much it was, they said $40 but because they knew me with the saltwater they would give it to me for $20. I plan on going back this week to get it, I cant just leave it there to die. I need some help on what is wrong with it. I know not having heat at all is a huge part of the problem but I’m positive that something else is wrong. From what I have researched it sounds like vitamin A deficiency.
When it walks it looks like it is drunk. They said they treated it for an inner ear infection but nothing helped so they just left him alone. The only cage I have right now is a 10 gallon, I know it’s way to small for a savannah but I can get a 40 in a week or so. I have already tested my lights on it, I can get 100 basking spot with the cool side at 78 with a 75watt hooked over the edge of the tank. I know the basking site needs to be higher but I think it will work until I can get a bigger cage, at least it will have something. I have calcium powder without D3 and a multivitamin powder. I also have reptiboost for carnivores.

If anyone has any advice please let me know, I have been out of reptiles for a few years but since my bf moved out I am getting back into them. I have had savannahs before, so I do know basics about them.

09/27/15  06:55pm

Boxers4life
View Profile

Message To: Boxers4life   In reference to Message Id: 2315028

Savannah Monitor help!!!

So I went and got him last night. He us doing much better with just the heat added. I’ll be getting some eco earth for him to burrow in tonight. He seems interested in food but when he grabs it he starts shaking and drops the food, but still lifts his head like he is eating it. I’ll be getting some repcal calcium with d3 tonight also.

09/29/15  10:32am

Yaksha
View Profile

Message To: Boxers4life   In reference to Message Id: 2315040

Savannah Monitor help!!!

what are you feeding him
make sure the humidity is high
injections from a vet to combat MBD may be necessary

09/29/15  04:05pm

Boxers4life
View Profile

Message To: Yaksha   In reference to Message Id: 2315043

Savannah Monitor help!!!

This is him when I brought him home, about 5 inches in total

This is the cage system he was in

This is what his cage looked like, just a mess!

Him in his new cage basking

The top I made from 1/4 inch oak plywood, drilled a hole for the heat lamp to pass through and secured the top with hinges so I can easily open it. This should hold humidity well and if I need to vent it more I can drill holes.

The inside of the cage, hides on the cool, and hot end. The dirt is 4 inches deep right now, yes more will be added later, I know they need to dig.

As for food, he is getting gut loaded crickets and dubia roaches dusted with calcium and vitamins.

09/29/15  08:09pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Boxers4life   In reference to Message Id: 2315045

Savannah Monitor help!!!

Calcium 2x a week. Good thing you did. Atleast he has a better home. Also vary the diet. Good luck....savs are cool animals.

09/29/15  08:46pm

Boxers4life
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2315046

Savannah Monitor help!!!

They are indeed very cool. I had them a few years ago, never one in this shape though. For now my supplement plan is Monday, Wednesday, Friday calcium with no D3. Tuesday, Thursday will be both Calcium with D3 and vitamins. All are Rep-Cal brand, I’ve heard its the best to use, they are phosphorus free. I believe he has a major calcium deficiency issue, possibly due to too much phosphorus, and having no heat at all prevented him from absorbing anything they were possibly giving him.
When he starts eating on his own I will add more food, right now I’m taking it easy with him.

09/29/15  08:59pm

Yaksha
View Profile

Message To: Boxers4life   In reference to Message Id: 2315048

Savannah Monitor help!!!

you might want to try the occassional pinkie to entice him to eat. they tend to love them
otherwise it looks like your on the right track. i would add a couple more hides to make him feel more secure and avoid handling whenever possible until his health is stronger. best of luck

10/05/15  09:17am

Boxers4life
View Profile

Message To: Yaksha   In reference to Message Id: 2315102

Savannah Monitor help!!!

Well hes doing great! I tried the pinkie today and he ate it with gusto!!!! Ill be getting some more for him this week. His drunk walk is getting much better too. He is walking all over his cage now with only a little stumbling. I have backed off of the calcium to only 3 times a week. I lost some heat in the cage, down to 120 basking spot but the hot side is 90 and the cool side is 78-82. He seems to be doing great, starting to dig with more gusto now and he is able to get in and out of his water bowl now. I don’t think he will ever get as big as he is supposed to though. But as long as hes healthy I will be happy.

10/10/15  03:28pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Boxers4life   In reference to Message Id: 2315165

Savannah Monitor help!!!

Good to hear hes doing better

10/11/15  02:01pm

Otto Glott
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2315177

Savannah Monitor help!!!

Even Petco takes better care of the mangroves they receive, its a damn shame. How can one own a pet store but not know how to care for all the creatures in stock?

10/13/15  08:30pm

Yaksha
View Profile

Message To: Otto Glott   In reference to Message Id: 2315203

Savannah Monitor help!!!

they just look at supply, demand and the bottom dollar

10/13/15  10:59pm

Back to Monitors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area